back to article Cut-price Linode competitor spins up Singapore bit barn

Scrappy cloud provider DigitalOcean has started selling cloud servers out of a Singapore data center, giving the cut-price Linode competitor a globe-spanning service. The new facility will sit alongside existing data centers in New York, San Francisco, and Amsterdam, the company announced on Tuesday. What sets DigitalOcean …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
K
Bronze badge

Rock solid

Been using them myself for the past few months, at $10 per a month for a proper Virtual Machine running on SSD, its a bargain. The service has been rock solid and support is pretty comprehensive. Its missing some of the "shinier" toys offered by Linode (Such as load balancing), but I wouldn't need them anyway.

your maths is off...

The DigitalOcean server is $10 per month.

That's $10/744h ~= $0.015, not $0.0015 as stated in the article (you can even switch the DigitalOcean pricing page to Hourly to check my maths ;) - which makes it about 1/3 the cost of Rackspace's PERF1GB.

However what you have failed to account for in the article is the bandwidth costs.

Rackspace charges $0.12/GB for the first 10TB of bandwidth, so the 2TB of free transfer that DigitalOcean would give you would be charged by Rackspace at $246 - over a month, DigitalOcean would charge you $10 and Rackspace would charge you $276 if you were bandwidth heavy ;)

What you pay for

Rackspace has a phone number.

Linode has a phone number.

DigitalOcean has a contact form.

Now, admittedly, 98% of people don't really care (I use DigitalOcean myself for some stuff) but support is one of those things you don't miss until the time you really, really need it...

Anonymous Coward

Re: What you pay for

If I'm paying $10 a month, either for personal or commercial use I can live with a contact form that is actually looked and replied to like they do.

Used Linode and DigitalOcean. Happy with both.

Two big "gotchas" I discovered with DigitalOcean - to get an additional IP address (for sites that need SSL certificates) you have to get a new "droplet", which doubles the cost; and they're not environmentally friendly. There are better (and cheaper) hosts in the Netherlands and Germany.

K
Bronze badge

Lets be clear - this would only be necessary if you were running multiple certificates :) you can run HTTP and HTTPS off a single IP. But having to purchase another "droplet" does suck. Saying that, I wanted additional IP's on Linode and suffice to say, they were rather anal about it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums