back to article Vodafone's Euro revenues slump by nearly TEN PER CENT

Vodafone's latest results make grim reading for the company's investors, with revenues in established markets falling and subscribers drifting away despite the firm's 4G investments. The British mobe operator's service revenues fell in Europe by 9.6 per cent and was only partially offset by gains in India and Turkey. The group …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

So - no tax payment then ?

Their accountants can probably use this to magic away any profit at all.

Silver badge

Haha - chickens coming home to roost.

Cant speak for anyone else but Project spring wouldnt have been necessary if they had continued the level of investment they had in their network 3-4 years ago.

They lost me as a customer the second 3's network coverage bettered theirs for my particular part of the world. Particularly as they somehow actively managed to reduce the coverage I enjoyed.

Tax again

They don't pay any so their revenues are completely irrelevant

Fuck 'em - tax-dodging bastards

That is all.

Lost my custom

When it became clear that they didn't have any interest in providing a sensible allowance of mobile data, even with 4G, for a sensible price, I left.

I'm not a particularly heavy data user, but I resented the risk of being charged for another big lump of data, even if I only used a small chunk of it.

Is it any surprise!

Is it any surprise, when they still have another 2 years to go before they can say they have anything near a 4G network, rather than a few very fragmented areas! Unless you live and only exist in 1 of those select areas why would you pay anything more????

FAIL

48 hours ago I finally waved goodbye to Vodafone and switched to EE... after 18 years as a loyal subscriber.

Why? When I got my first iPhone (my 3GS) they assured me that, despite issues with their 3G network on my old Nokia feature phone, that they would have it sorted out in a year or so. When I got my 4S they said the same, so when it came to upgrade to the 5S and things hadn't changed very much it was a no brainer.

The fact that during my last "upgrade" they slashed my data allowance and then increased the price didn't help.

The fact I had trouble finding an iPad-friendly service from them early on didn't help, the T-Mobile card I finally settled on was so good I just couldn't, in all reality, go anywhere else!

Bronze badge

The MBA view of the world

I've always scratched my head about Vodafone. It had enough presence in enough countries to seriously disrupt the balkanised territory- and technology-centric model of the mobile phone business before it was steamrollered by regulation (thank you, Ms Kroes) and competition. And yet it seems to have shied from real innovation - except, perhaps in its accounting methods.

I think this is partly because the management have an MBA view of the world - the business is simply a set of numbers with no footprint beyond its five-year projections. If you're not looking further ahead, why would you not try to preserve the margins you're getting from last year's business model?

But I think there's a generic problem in the way stockholders are viewed as "investors". The only true investors are the people who subscribe to the stock in the first place. Everyone else is simply buying a stake in future profit once (they hope) the business is established and the risks eliminated. If the company got a chunk of the transaction value when shares changed hands, perhaps you might get real "investors" taking an interest and wanting to see how their capital was going to be used.

Pint

'Project Spring' needs to be 'project care'

Until they learn that customer care and retention matters they'll continue to haemorrhage loyal customers...

Their mobile business lost me back in the mid nineties after > 10 years as a customer, then they managed to foul up demon sufficiently to lose me a second time last year after ~20 years.

Seems the bean-counters rule ... with the usual results.

Speaking for myself....

....as an ex-Vodafone customer. It couldn't have happened to a nicer Company.

Bronze badge

With regards to Voda Australia: good pricing and plenty of advertising but bad network coverage and worse customer service.

I don't have and have never had any dealings with Vodafone but that's the story I'm getting from *everyone* who I talk to. I honestly can't point to one happy customer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums