Feeds

back to article Virtual insanity: Half a dozen startups throw six tricks in the mix

Six news tidbits from startups caught the Vulture's eye as it flew over the storage jungle this week. This includes announcements ranging from product tweaks and results to upgrades and price cuts. Veeam, the virtual server backup startup on growth hormone, announced another great quarter .... its 24th consecutive quarter in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"Pure's flash controllers can be upgraded non-disruptively."

Yet Pure is an SSD array, with the SSD's being supplied by a third party (Samsung I believe).

And these SSDs have firmware, which cannot be upgraded non-disruptively (unless you count pulling each SSD in turn and plugging it into something else to upgrade it).

I just don't get the whole "Look! We can non-disruptively upgrade a subsection of our product!" thing.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Pure's flash controllers can be upgraded non-disruptively."

From what I understand there is no need to upgrade firmware on the SSDs themselves, Pure do things very differently when it comes to SSDs, they don't have a reliance on a specific vendors SSD firmware (OK, so there may be the odd instance where something on the SSD itself is a bit buggy and needs sorting, ie. SSD vendor bug, not a Pure bug). They have global algorithms to deal with garbage collection, wear levelling, write amplification avoidance etc regardless of the make/model of SSD.

I had a play with one of their units at a trade show and it truly is non-disruptive when it comes to upgrading or pulling it to pieces. I yanked the power out of the active controller and the IOps and latency didn't flinch. You need to try it to believe it.

Silver badge

Ready, steady, startup

Looking at these companies, with Veeam reporting "24 consecutive quarters .... " then it's been going at least 6 years. Pure Storage was started in 2009 - so it has 4+ years under its belt

Are these really "startups" or should they now be considered fully-fledged businesses?

Silver badge
WTF?

So IBM is a startup now?

(See icon)

This topic is closed for new posts.