back to article Plaintiffs: 'Hey judge! Soak Apple for $840m in ebook price-fixing suit'

Apple may be on the hook for as much as $840m after having been found guilty of ebook price-fixing. The state attorneys general who joined the price-fixing suit along with the US Department of Justice have told the court that not only should Apple be liable for $280m in damages, but that antitrust law says the amount should be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Oninoshiko
    Headmaster

you mean 0.529 percent.

if they had to pay 0.529 per cent (.529/.01) that would put them into receivership tomorrow.

I suppose you should argue that the first unit was cents, not dollars, which would still be an impressive fine, being over half their assets.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Not easy, in Europe it would be decimal comma something and in the US decimal point. And there are no restrictions on the number of decimals so 0.529 is as it should be in the USA.

2. Aybee
      Facepalm

Polls

"you mean 0.529 percent."

No. Per cent, i,e, "per 100".

It's Latin. You know, that language that has been around for a few thousand years.

If a Johnny-come-lately, the US of A, wants to name its coins after a number, they deserve any confusion that arises. Even the US patent system would stop short of such nonsense.

1. Mark 85

Re: Polls

You honestly believe that the patent office would stop? The only way I can see that happening is if someone stole their rubber stamp.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Fixed, Just like Apple did!

You honestly believe that the patent office would stop? The only way I can see that happening is if anyone other company than apple were to submit a patent.

2. Oninoshiko

I think you need a refreser on your latin

"you mean 0.529 percent."

No. Per cent, i,e, "per 100".

It's Latin. You know, that language that has been around for a few thousand years.

If a Johnny-come-lately, the US of A, wants to name its coins after a number, they deserve any confusion that arises. Even the US patent system would stop short of such nonsense.

Latin would be "per centum" not "per cent"

1. Aybee

Re: I think you need a refreser on your latin

'Latin would be "per centum" not "per cent"'

You're right, of course. Upvoted.

(Though using a standard abbreviation for the full word doesn't really imply a remedial refresher, perhaps?)

Still two words, though, innit? ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I suppose you should argue that the first unit was cents, not dollars, which would still be an impressive fine, being over half their assets."

Wow, you must be the life and soul of any party.

2. Aybee

You have a point. I failed to foresee the day on which Apple will, doubtless, patent Latin.

3. Daniel Barnes

I don't understand, if it wasn't proven conclusively wouldn't that have resulted in a not guilty verdict?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the US of A

the amount of guilt you end up with depends on how much of it you can pay to go away...

Michael Jackson is a good example of "paying to not be found as much guilty"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like