Feeds

back to article El Reg BuzzFelch: 10 Electrical Connectors You CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT!

(Editorial note: We at The Register are continually exploring ways to deliver content in new and exciting formats. In response to the growing online trend for undemanding, text-light stuff with loads of big pictures, we're delighted to announce the launch of BuzzFelch - an automated aggregator which trawls the internet in search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Happy

Soldering iron

Makes everything fit and the cheap ones are orange.

Anonymous Coward

Apple?

Lightening connector, 30 pin?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: Soldering iron

Exactly - who needs a drill when you've got one of these?

Mushroom

Re: Apple?

"Lightening connector, 30 pin?"

What does that do then? Shave a few pounds off anything passed through it? Or is it more about adjusting the brightness of transmitted pictures?

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: Apple?

It shaves a few pounds off your wallet.

Noooo! When you solder crimp connectors, the solder wicks up inside the wire. This causes the wire to become stiff and will fracture with flexing. Any connectors which use soldering will have better cable support.

Also, with the crimp terminals, use the ratcheting crimp tools-about 4x the cost of the cheap flat ones but they make joints that acutully last

Coat

Re: Lightening connector

Silly AC, the whole point of lightning is that it can't be contained by a connector...

Anonymous Coward

Which is exactly why cars use crimp connectors and also why soldered joins cause all of the the really annoying intermittent faults on cars.

Diesel glow plug relay or fuel pump power module being two I've encountered, the soldered joints degrade.

Bronze badge

I'm no expert but most the non-cable related soldering problems are now down to "lead free" or whatever safer solder. The old stuff did the job, but may not be family friendly...

Silver badge

"BuzzFelch"? WTF?

Sounds like ass to me.

::rimshot::

Bronze badge
Flame

Re: "BuzzFelch"? WTF?

Sounds like an excuse not to have a BOFH, come on Reg give me my BOFH fix!

Bronze badge
WTF?

If they only knew the real meaning of Felch.

See below:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=felch

Bronze badge

I'm pretty sure they do know the all the various meaning of felch, which is why they decided to use it. It's a parody of these content exaggerators, after all

Silver badge

@jake

I got the impression that they're already leading up to April first. Can't start preparing soon enough ;)

Coat

Three words: "The Day Today" (or if a Radio 4 purist, "On The Hour"). (Same for origin of "speak your brains", also a favourite around here).

And from this we know that 'Fact' times 'Importance' equals... NEWS.

You don't think The Register knows the definition of a slang term describing a deviant sexual act?

Are you new here?

I wouldn't be too surprised if The Register *invented* the act.

"Three words: "The Day Today" (or if a Radio 4 purist, "On The Hour")."

Excellent choice, Sir. If I may contribute "The thin twig of peace has been stretched to breaking point."

Bronze badge

My Favourite was 'It's the thin end of a very long and complicated wedge'

Yeah, cool...

We need more stuff like this please :o)

Silver badge

Re: Yeah, cool...

This belongs in the 'You won't believe the Top 10 Linkbait pseudo articles you'll see this year' pseudo article I'll get some bot and intern to knock up for ad-rev clickbait.

Silver badge

On a more serious note ...

No serial or parallel port?

What about light-bulb sockets?

Fuse/ground-fault interrupt/breaker connections?

Automotive battery connections?

Where should I stop?

Coat

Re: On a more serious note ...

Isn't it obvious

#11 Serial or parallel port (Isn't USB serial???)

#12 light-bulb sockets

#13 Fuse/ground-fault interrupt/breaker connections

#14 Automotive battery connections

Bronze badge

<i<where should i stop?</i>

when you see that submit button, Just stop and think "Is there something around my self-sufficient commune I could be doing?"

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: On an even more serious note ...

No Cannon XLR?

Omissions don't get any more glaring

> Where should I stop?

When you've listed 10

Five maybe six lines ago! ;-/

Silver badge

What? No hermaphroditic "red right, tongue top" powerpole connectors?

15 Standard 13 Amp Plug

Bronze badge

Everything can be run off USB... rught?

BS 546

I protest the absence of the UK three-pin AC power plug.

Re: BS 546

Downvoters are probably insisting on BS1363 rectangular pin AC power plugs, but each to their own.

The UK plugs are all in the Premium section, along with a lot of other exciting connectors such as bayonet fittings and SCART. It is £25 well spent, I can tell you.

BuzzFelch? Better than FuzzBelch, but not much.

Silver badge

RJ-11 FTW

I think they are missing the historical significance of the RJ-11 connector - without which we would probably have never reached the heady heights of the RJ-45 and all the blessings that that has bestowed upon us.

Bronze badge

Quite right. And there should be a special award for BS1363 as "The Most Painful Mains Plug To Step On In Your Socks".

No foreign plug comes close.

JDX
Gold badge

The US 2-pin mains plug is just horrible. I never understand how it isn't actively dangerous, you always seem to get sparking when you plug stuff in/out, and plugs just wobble rather than engage securely like the UK plug.

Silver badge

Re: BS 546 @JDX

Decades ago most Japanese, US and a few British hifi amplifiers had US-style mains outlets on the rear for connecting turntable etc.

Used in the UK with nearly twice the mains voltage these were particularly lethal as you could touch the live pins as the plug was removed/inserted.

Did this once when still damp from a bath and, oddly, survived.

Noticed that on later models these sockets were sealed off and were eventually banished.

Silver badge

Re: BS 546 @JDX

> Decades ago most Japanese, US and a few British hifi amplifiers had US-style mains outlets on the rear for connecting turntable etc.

Living here in Canada.

They still do this.

It is insane. So much metal chassis equipment being made *now* and no earth. @{DEITY} help these people join the 21st century, please!

Silver badge

"No foreign plug comes close."

You've never stood on a AS/NZS 3112 ("Type I") side entry plug. They're much worse than the BS1363s

http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/Australian1.html - photo 2

Unlike a BS1363, these can leave you bleeding if you're not careful in the dark.

Coat

Here here! I`m surprised the EU haven`t mandated downgrading to unshutterred german shitztconnect or the worse safety of ground free things from all over Europe rather than adopt the best.

Like the fire extinguisher coding fiasco where now they are all red and people are put at risk. Oh and the 3-phase colour coding directive which has already claimed a number of lives

Arguably a shuttered version of the shrouded and shielded pin kettle style IEC would be a way to go but It would have to be bigger and right angled IMHO

Erratum: Dyslexia rules thst should have been "schutzkonnect" I believe.with k or c.

I forgot to say all plugs should be fused for ultimate safety unlike US and EU and most non-uk influenced areas.

Bronze badge

Re: AS/NZS 3112

Ouch, those look like they could cause serious injury, even put one through your foot. But you can really cause a nasty wound with a BS 1363. I should know, as I've seriously mangled my toes on one

Anonymous Coward

I forgot to say until now that I was on the BSi and industry committees for a number of years, and I much prefer Schuko plugs and sockets with individual circuit protection.

Because in the BS 1362 system, you can put a nail, in the plug and so negate any safety. The fuse can give a false sense of security, and at least one factory has burned down because of it.

Anonymous Coward

What about the first universal power supply outlet?

The car lighter socket.

Re: What about the first universal power supply outlet?

Good shout. I know someone who has one of these on the front of his PC so he could light his "cigarettes" with one of those glow plug jobs which every car used to have.

Bronze badge

Good example of how 'universal' things are almost always shit - a connector for use in a vibrating environment, that only has friction-locking...

Anyway, I know that it would require an article in itself, but what about SCSI connectors?

Or the second, the USB.

Bronze badge
FAIL

That would be the domestic light socket - if you watch a few B&W UK films and see the number of people powering electric irons from them.

The car lighter is almost brand new in comparison.

Bronze badge
Happy

actually ICAN

Have you guys been pestered by some semi-literate commentards lately ? Hang on, let me rephrase that. Have you been contacted by the products of the modern education system lately ? Bring on more teleportation workaround stories with some quantum mechanics. At least the comments can be fun. Also, the beginning of the year shutdown is ending. Should be some real news real soon now. Super X class flares, spooks admit they cant catch a cold, Windows 8 admitted to be a design mistake...oh, too late

Silver badge

"BuzzFelch - an automated aggregator which trawls the internet in search of lively tech-related imagery and compiles it into a fantastic numbered list."

Um... Uh... Well it must have seemed like a good idea right before closing time at the pub.

Silver badge

Do you see much of the internet? This is a spoof of those linkbait sites that aggregate or simply screen scrape a bunch of images, surrounds them with adverts, forces you to click through one at a time, with titles that consistently involved hyperbole and a number '5 incredible photos of blah', 'your eyes won't believe x can be so exciting', '12 wired cancer treatments that really work!!'.

It's a pastiche of buzzfeed and ilk if it needs spelling out.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.