back to article VMware blows $1.5bn gobbling AirWatch to boost mobe wrangling

Like any organisation bound by its listed status to enhance shareholder value, VMware always needs to be on the hunt for new sources of revenue. For several years now that's meant a pursuit of end-user devices, be they mobile machines or desktop computers, in the hope that end-user computing might become VMware's “Office” to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

My email to VMware on the topic: "VMware bought Airwatch. Does this mean we're finally getting a real mobile hypervisor? The one VMware's been sitting on forever?

Enquiring minds want to know…

--Trevor"

VMware's response: "Guess you will have to wait and see :-)"

2. Mr Anonymous

1st change

"thanks to decent pricing" will be out the window, it's one thing VMware doesn't have.

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Horizon Workspace...

I wonder how this will fit into Horizon Workspace - this has some mobile functionality, but not nearly so evolved.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Horizon Workspace...

I have been told that "all workforce mobility and endpoint stuff will be branded under the Horizon brand", however, that's not an official answer. There was rationale behind it, however, that sort of made sense...if you're a marketing wonk. :/

4. Smoking Gun

Sound strategic buy from VMware. Going head to head with Citrix and XenMobile.

"thanks to decent pricing" will be out the window, it's one thing VMware doesn't have." I was thinking the same thin (got down voted though).

5. K

Another daff deal..

I'm a VMWare and vSphere evangelist.. But this was a really stupid purchase, it has to go in the realms of

Spring

RabbitMQ

Shavlik

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another daff deal..

AirWatch provide a good solution, but it's hard work to differentiate in this space. They are not entering into a whitespace area like they did with ESX years ago. It's very much a competitive playing field with Hyper-V in there now.

Ultimately everyone has to play to Apple and Samsung's capabilities. It's then about additional capabilities like containers, great UI, ease of use and deployment to be different. Some solutions like AirWatch and Fiberlink are easy to use. Other solutions like MobileIron, Soti, Good Tech have many features, with associated complexity. Then down existing buying preferences, software deals etc.

Even if a company has AirWatch, the wider application portfolio and integration will make the difference over time. I think VMware hopes companies with AirWatch will want to hook into more Horizon View, but I don't think most companies will care. It's more about associated "application development" platforms that goes alongside an EMM solution. Things have moved to a mobile app world, not connecting to back end Windows apps.

It's a competitive space - vTax can't be played here

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like