back to article Spanish cops tweet handy dope-smuggling advice

The Spanish National Police force endeared itself to potheads on Tuesday when it obliging responded a Twitter query regarding the best way to smuggle dope through airport customs. "Contemporary cultural magazine" Jot Down asked: "If you're travelling abroad (EU) and you're carrying four joints, is it better to put them in your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that's why they have been giving the residents of Gibraltar such a hard time at the border. They are giving them advice on how to be successful smugglers!

1. Chris G

Gib!

Gibraltar has always been a centre of Mediterranean smuggling, not that long ago before drugs became the big thing they are now in Spain there was a great deal of tobacco and sugar smuggling around Gib' and Algeciras in fast launches from Morrocco.

As for the Policia Nacional giving advice, it is not much of a surprise, here in Ibiza many people smoke publicly all year round.

I know a couple of members of the constabulary who are partial to a toke.

It is also legal to grow a couple of plants for personal consumption as well, although if the plants are too big ( 4 metres high is not unusual) the fuzz will come and confiscate the plant as it exceeds what they would consider personal supply.

One healthy plant can provide a LOT of chill time.

I don't care what people consume in their own time but so many folks here smoke all day, it makes them a waste of space as far as work is concerned.

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
        Joke

Re: Gib!

"... it makes them a waste of space as far as work is concerned"

An unkind person might say, that is nothing to do with marijuana ...

2. tuzza

When in Spain...

It's worth pointing out that Marijuana is (at least partially) decriminalised in Spain, so this cop's laissez-faire attitude is not so unusual.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When in Spain...

Yup, and it's socially accepted as well.

3. Grogan Silver badge

Some cops have a change of heart, too. Marijuana use shouldn't be persecuted like it is.

I'm not sure if I should post a link to it here, but if you look up Barry Cooper or Never Get Busted Again, you'll find a star drug interdiction agent from Texas who changed his tune, after reluctantly smoking marijuana given to him by his girl friend and finding great relief from the stresses and depression and alcohol abuse he was experiencing. He realized that what he was doing was wrong.

He made videos of how to get away with concealing small amounts of marijuana and gives you tips on how these drug interdiction squads operate and what they look for on the highways. Innocent things like patriotic veteran bumper stickers because "Veterans often use marijuana". He said something to the effect of "They put their lives on the line for this country, and I had no problem putting them in jail. I was wrong"

He's also been a bit of a crusader.

Because of this, he's had death threats from cops, threats that his wife is going to be raped while he's in prison etc. He's a "traitor" according to those meat heads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Grog, it's a completely different story in Spain. As mentioned above, drug consumption (especially "soft" drugs) is socially acceptable over there. It is used, quite legally, by plenty of policemen, politicians, etc. Even the mayor of the town where I used to live used to grow plants on her balcony.

For all their faults, Spaniards are a fairly unprejudiced bunch.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It's nice to know that in this era of state-sponsored snooping....

That there are still a few civil servants who are dedicated to government...er...transparency?

(Dudes, I'm from the government and I'm here to help! Like, I totally brought a bag of Doritos and a pizza!)

These Spanish police probably wear selected icon as their badge :)

5. MrDamage Silver badge
    Pint

Twatted

Gotta remember that one.

Ive been referring to Twitter as Twatter for a while, and its users as twunts, but never went the one step further to come up with a specific phrase for their 140 character e-farts.

1. beep54
      Joke

Re: Twatted

Seems more straight-forward to simply call Twitter users 'twits', doesn't it?

6. xperroni

Outraging indeed

God forbid the police give sensible advice.

What comes next? Street cops using common sense? Criminal investigators not planting evidences? Where will it stop?!

7. The last doughnut

Your country doesn't need you

I seem to recall from my yoof - narbis use makes you crap at learning and I suspect not very good at working either. My yoof coincided with the early eighties and my inability to learn soon morphed into an inability to get into any of the few jobs there were for uneducated yoof back then. So I gave it up and got educated.

Anyway the point of all this is, if your country has failed you - no job prospects, having to live with your parents etc - you may as well fail your country, and get high.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Your country doesn't need you

> Anyway the point of all this is, if your country has failed you - no job prospects, having to live with your parents etc - you may as well fail your country, and get high.

I am making no judgement, but would you want to "fail" yourself though?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like