Feeds

back to article Our robot overlords won't be evil cyborgs: Prepare for whisker-equipped ROBO-KITTIES

Given the world's (bizarre) fondness for all things feline, folks will no doubt be delighted to discover that our robot overlords could be whiskery robot cats instead of creepy robot humanoids. Cat yawning That was doubtless what was going through the mind of boffins at Berkeley Lab and the University of California when they …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

IPR

This being a US university they surely meant "PATENTED" and not "patterned carbon nanotube" no?

well it might not be *quite* as high-tec but the lowrider custom car scene have had whiskers for detecting kerbs since the 70s!

Silver badge

Leather gloves required

If you tug on the said whisker, does a supersonic paw fly out and use it's razor sharp claws on the back of your hand in order to remind you never to pull it's whiskers ?

My cat just gives me a look that says that that is what is going to happen should I even think about doing something even remotely as silly.

Alert

Re: Leather gloves required

I know that feline look far too well....leather gloves would be just the start of it mate.

Even without the "technical" upgrade to Robo status, you would be better off with:

1. a full-body suit of Chobham armour (or armor for our ex-colonial friends), if such a thing could be made.

2. then there would be titanium helmet with the 25mm thick perspex visor

3. then the reinforced chainmail and kevlar gorget.

and finally, if all that doesn't blunt its enthusiasm, then take the little feline bastard out with

4. a large elastic band and a slice of heavily buttered toast.

You'll thank me one day, all of you, you will...just wait.

re toast

4. a large elastic band and a slice of heavily buttered toast.

PMSL well done sir!

Bronze badge

Re: Leather gloves required

Given this is a robo-moggie none of your kit stands a chance. Claws of sapphire at least!

Kitteh kitteh burning bright

In the forests of the night,

What mortal hand or eye

Could frame your fearful symmetry.

Silver badge
Facepalm

I for one ...

... welcome our whiskery nocturnal-hunting robotic overlords.

Coat

Ten pound note of pressure

Is this the birth of a new unit of pressure?

... "the same amount of pressure as a ten pound note exerts on a table surface"

so £1million is equivalent to 1 bar

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Ten pound note of pressure

One million quid in a bar?

Thats going to be one heck of a hangover!

Bronze badge

Re: Ten pound note of pressure

But did they mean a £10 note or a 10lb note?

Been & done already

My second AIBO (yes I had two of them) always looked more like a robotic cat than a dog

Bronze badge
Joke

Pussy whipped?

This could be a CATastrophe. I have a sinking feline about this.

Could this be a new version of the Commodore Pet?

Silver badge

Re: Pussy whipped?

You've pawssibly stumbled onto a great application there. Patent it before someone whiskers it away!

Bronze badge

SF leads the way

The author Rosie Oliver has a series of stories about cyber cats - C.A.T.

Silver badge
Terminator

Maybe....

We're still going to get humanoid robots, but they will look like robo-Grizzly Adams? (Yes, a child of the 70s here.).

Plus, who's bright idea was it to give robots a sensory system that allows hunting in total darkness?

Bronze badge

The Purrminator

Well, looks like the mice are fucked.

Bronze badge

Yea but can I get Freeview HD on them?

Bronze badge

Is this really that impressive? I mean I haven't tested it, but I'm fairly sure an actual cat's whisker could detect the weight of a banknote too.

Bronze badge

How many

Men are already ruled by pussies ?

This topic is closed for new posts.