back to article No more syncing feeling with file portability service Younity

Younity bills itself as syncless file sharing software spread across all your Apple and Windows devices. What's this private cloud-style offering all about? It is provided by Entangled Media, whose co-founders are Erik Caso and Mike Abraham. The younity website says: “younity is about being able to spontaneously access any …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So far...

Registering is pretty easy. It is now scanning my work laptop in the background, so here's hoping I won't need to lug my downloaded stuff with me on a USB key...

OK, well, all the dirs I have selected to share are now available on my phone, without having to have a local cache. How exactly this is an improvement over the likes of Dropbox remains to be seen

1. erikcaso

Re: So far...

Hi. We are huge Dropbox fans, as are many/most of our users. However, if you're like us you only have a tiny percentage of files in Dropbox. That average person in the US has over 1TB of content (music, video, photos and docs) and on average only a few dozen GBs ever get stored in the cloud because it is far too expensive. We're the solution for all the rest of your data. younity not only lets you spontaneously access your files any time you want, it is centered around media libraries - photo albums, music playlists, HD movies, etc. This is the stuff that takes up so much storage that putting it in the cheapest online storage solution out there would cost you hundreds of dollars per year.

On top of that, we unify your content across devices. If you install younity on all your computers, you'll notice that you don't have to search for files on the laptop or desktop, because we unify them into one file system. We even unify all your iTunes accounts into one music library. Even Apple doesn't do that!

Hope that helps understand our goal a bit more. Thanks.

Erik Caso

2. Tom 35

On the subway?

“younity is about being able to spontaneously access any file you have at any time, without planning ahead.”

Is it going to copy everything to some server in the cloud* or do you have to have your computer turned on to access stuff?

*So EVERYTHING on your computer is now available to NSA types, not just the stuff you put in your dropbox.

1. erikcaso

Re: On the subway?

Hi Tom, we don't store *any* of your data on our servers. Because that is the case, you do need to keep your computers online. However, if the NSA came along and took all our servers, the most they'd get about you is your email address. All traffic is encrypted, we have none of your data and have no idea what our users are streaming. Hope that helps understand it a bit better. Thanks.

Erik Caso

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oh great

Yet another security hazard that uses social stuff to hook people.

1. erikcaso

Re: Oh great

Hi Pascal, we focus on unifying your data for *you*. Since that is the case, younity is built around ensuring privacy and security. We can *never* lose your data or give it to anyone because we don't have any of your data nor do we even know what your files are.

That said, our users wanted to be able to share their files with their friends without having to upload those files to some online storage account. When you share something with your friend, they stream it right from your device - we never touch it, see it or have access to it. Hope that helps. Thanks.

Erik Caso

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like