Feeds

back to article Twitter co-founder wraps tentacles around Q&A market, squirts out Jelly

Twitter co-founder Biz Stone launched a search app dubbed Jelly on Tuesday that he hopes will conquer the already packed-like-sardines online Q&A market. The concept behind the app appears to rely on Facebook and Twitter hive minds. Stone stopped short of calling it that, however, preferring instead to say that "Jelly is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge

Compteting with Yahoo! Answers isn't hard. My 2 year old nephew gives more coherent answers than it does. Heaven knows how it ends up so high on Google's search rankings, given the piss-poor nature of the so-called 'answers' when you accidentally click on the link.

Silver badge

That's a little unfair, for example if I Google "Where can I find a bunch ignorant, xenophobic, homophobic morons that make the Daily Mail readers look like a bunch of left wing tree huggers" Google returned Yahoo Answers and Forums as the top hits, which of course is spot on.

Gold badge

Where do Youtube comment denizens rank in relation?

I can't remember if it was an xkcd joke, or somewhere else, but there were a list of near-impossible challenges. One of which was to post something on Youtube that was so moronic that everyone would realise it was meant to be a joke.

jai
Silver badge

what does "free" mean?

i take it by "free" you mean there is a cost somewhere?

is it a bombardment of adverts?

an in-app-purchase to unlock the ability to view the answers to your questions?

or just the part of our soul that you inevitably lose to the demons of social media?

Silver badge

What goes on in the Facebook/Twitter hive mind?

I'm going to guess that a good 60% of it is about the weather at the moment.

Gold badge

Re: What goes on in the Facebook/Twitter hive mind?

My limited research suggests that, "I'm rockin' a ham 'n pickle sandwich! LOL!!" Is a more-or-less representative sample.

On the other hand, there's usually some quality casual racism to be had on Facebook - along with people talking about how great homeopathy is, and reiki massage. Those seem to be the people my brother gets into arguments with anyway.

Question...

Has any co-founder of a successful website like twitter ever managed to replicate that success with a similar site?

Re: Question...

Probably not, but I guess they probably don't lose sleep over it.

Once you are a 30 something billionaire you can pretty much do what you want, and surely it's better they stay in the tech field than start buying sports teams and the like?

This topic is closed for new posts.