back to article Indirect proposition: Inside IBM UK software supremo's profit plan

IBM’s Stephen Smith shrugs off our suggestion there’s more pressure on him now than ever before. And no wonder: he is a man with a profit-generating plan. Smith is the UK and Ireland head of IBM’s Software Group – a unit that’s home to some of the biggest names in software, never mind the Big Blue brand itself. As a whole, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Crowbar

"But what of the WebSphere middleware portfolio – home of the app server?"

Thats a joke right? Have you ever tried to use the IBM website? Websphere doesnt work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So WebSphere don't work eh?

Well, thank the Lord.

It's not working is keeping me employed and has done for the past 15 years.

If you mean WAS don't work then I might tend to agree with you but WebSphere Brand encompasses an awful lot of technology that is used my many of the top companies in the world to keep their businesses working 24/7.

If you would like to compare WebSphere MQ against MSMQ then you might see what I mean. Sure one if free and one ain't but I know which one I'd rather use on a day to day basis. The 'toy' that is MSMQ is not the winner by a long way. Even JMS beats it IMHO.

No I don't work for IBM and never have done.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So WebSphere don't work eh?

It's not working is keeping me employed and has done for the past 15 years.

That's part of the problem right there. SMB's can't afford to employ people full time just to stroke an app server.

It takes a fair amount of admin expertise to run most IBM software properly. It's simply not designed for ease of use. That's where the 'Enterprise' label hurts. People associate it with 'Big expensive to maintain systems that need a lot of configuration and hand-holding to work properly'.

2. DBJDBJ

Slow train wreck. At the mercy of El Reg at that :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like