Feeds

back to article Microsoft tries to trademark 'Mod' in the US

Microsoft is attempting to trademark the phrase “Microsoft Mod” in a move being interpreted as step towards renaming the Windows 8/8.1 interface. The software giant in December lodged a wordmark filing with the US Patent and Trademark office (USPTO) to claim “Microsoft Mod” and “Microsoft Office Mod.” The filings were uncovered …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft tiles?

Please send my cheque by mail.

Silver badge

Re: Microsoft tiles?

Windows Mothra still is better.

Quadrophenia!

Cool, all we need now is a Linux distro called 'Rockers' and we can have Mods vs Rockers!

I'll get my parka.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Quadrophenia!

I was thinking Google Rocker or Apple Rocker, but very much along the same lines, so have an upvote instead :)

Silver badge

Hey, I passed my driving test on a Lambretta LI-150 wearing a parka. I still passed despite one of the cables connecting the gearchange mechanism to the gearbox getting rather frayed making changing down very difficult.

Now I ride a Triumph Tiger 1050 but I like watching Quadrophenia simply because a few of my old mates are in it.

As for the distro's. IMHO Ubuntu is for Mods. Slightly dated and Fading away whereas Mint is the one that rocks at the moment.

Ha those were the days! It was the throttle cable that frayed for me.

My power options were sometimes limited to:

1) Zero (ignition off)

2) 3/4 power

3) Full power

Fun times :)

Bronze badge

Cool, all we need now is a Linux distro called 'Rockers' and we can have Mods vs Rockers!

But they'd probably get sued by the Rockstar consortium.

Silver badge

Won't get fooled again [tm].

Bronze badge
Windows

OK, Rockers Linux needs version names. Orderly list please.

Childcatcher

Never mind all this! - are the kids alright!?

Silver badge
Megaphone

We are, we are, we are the Mods

Hmm, a youn Toyah and Leslie Ash... I'm more of a biker than scooter rider, but everyone on two wheels is a compatriot, when the NTB drivers are out to get you.

Joke

In the film A Hard Days Night, Ringo was asked if he was a mod or a rocker. He quickly came back with, " I'm a mocker." Sorry. Always loved that bit.

The punters are excited

first reactions in the news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4znu82XhE

Silver badge
Linux

Re: The punters are excited

Kinda reminds me of how Microsoft treat their users these days.

Bronze badge

(TM) or (R)

As I understand it in the UK/EU anyone can slap a (TM) on anything, the (R) however is a registered trademark and should be respected accordingly.

Makes sense to me...

'TM' in the UK *is* a registered Trademark. The 'R' is non-existent here.

As for 'Mod' I think it makes sense. When they weren't allowed to use Metro anymore they always referred to it as their 'Modern' looking interface - Mod is obviously short for Modern. "Microsoft Office Mod" sounds better spoken than "Microsfot Office Modern"

Re: Makes sense to me...

Mod is now normally used as an abbreviation of 'Modification'

Bronze badge

Oh, for a few moments I thought it was the other side of Microsoft Roc(ker). The thing is their new offerings are off their rocker.

Bronze badge

"'TM' in the UK *is* a registered Trademark. The 'R' is non-existent here."

Eh? The ® signifies a registered trademark in the UK. ™ Symbol has no legal significance but can be used to show that you believe that the mark would qualify for protection from passing-off.

Anonymous Coward

lots of script kiddies breaking out their LUA code to try and get automated gold mining working in MS Office....

Bronze badge
Facepalm

So by their way of thinking, the current version out there is Windows Mark 8 Mod 1? Oh frabjous joy. Not.

Silver badge

You have it the wrong way round.

As DaLo has noted above, (R) is the Registered Trade Mark. "TM" represents just Trade Mark, or for those that know anything about the subject, is often more accurately interpreted as "Totally Meaningless".

Anybody can append "TM" to a word or identifier, applying for and being granted a Registered Trade Mark costs a minimum of £170 and goes through a set process prior to acceptance. The IPO (Intellectual Property Office) has the details on their website.

>'TM' in the UK *is* a registered Trademark. The 'R' is non-existent here.

As others have said - that's totally back to front.

In the UK the "R" in a circle denotes a registered trademark, and it's an offence to use it incorrectly. It's not illegal to use "TM" to indicate that something is being used as a trademark, but it nor does it have any legal significance. (Source: www.ipo.gov.uk)

Silver badge

I thought it was short for modulo.

Bronze badge

Re: Mod is now normally used as an abbreviation of 'Modification'

Makes sense to me, you need to mod the system to make it useable on a single screen machine that isn't a tablet.

Bronze badge

>In the UK the "R" in a circle denotes a registered trademark, and it's an offence to use it incorrectly.

Crikey. Then El Reg are in a spot of bother... What's the standard fine for misuse, multiplied by every article on the site? Are we accessories for reading them?

I've probably transgressed a couple times myself, when writing swears in a child-friendly f@%™ing manner.

Wur aw gettin' the jail!!

Bronze badge
Go

Spot of bother avoided

> Crikey. Then El Reg are in a spot of bother...

Not at all. The masthead sports Community Trademark EU003348381, registered in 2003.

"Mod is now normally used as an abbreviation of 'Modification'"

I think it still is being used this way, as in you'll have to modify it to make it usable.

Bronze badge

Re: Spot of bother avoided

Eh, I was referring to the one that suffixes the text of every article... You know, the last byte you see before you weigh up the fateful decision of whether to venture into the land of Commentardia...

Facepalm

FFS (TM)

The word "Mod" or "mod" has been used so much in all sorts of scenarios including software modules and software modification I can only assume Microsoft have a new ('humanities' flavour) 16 year old "marketing" person in charge of this...

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: FFS (TM)

And I guess at 16 1/2 you must be far smarter than the 16 year old marketing person.

Read the f'ing article and not the link bait heading; they are not trying to trademark "Mod" but "Microsoft Mod" and "Microsoft Office Mod", the latter two, I'd say are pretty unique.

Silver badge

I think you misunderstand the intent of the poster.

He, like me, associate the term "mod" with its prevalent usage within the computing and gaming community to mean a modification, often unofficial, to software to change/enhance its function.

That may, or may not, be what Microsoft mean in this context. The particular association with Office and Metro made in the article is pure speculation on the part of El Reg.

Happy

@Lost all faith... Oh to be 16 1/2 again! Well... perhaps not.

btw, see @skelband's excellent reply to you.

Silver badge

I can't find the correction button so:

"the naem with one of its European partners"

I am guessing that should be the name.

Nya

TIFKAM

Thought we had already settled and called it TIFKAM? even pages not on here, and the main press have used it. Although I guess licensing it off the Reg might of been a bit highly priced for them, there is after all only so many pints you can get stacked onto one of the licensing types.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: TIFKAM

They can call it whatever they like, Modern, Mod, Metro, TIFKAM.

I'll still just call it Shite.

Silver badge
Joke

Microsoft have a lot of prior art in that area though, so I doubt they could trademark it now.

Oddly enough. I was going to say exactly the same thing but prefixed by the word utter.

TM does not require registering anything, and can be used freely until someone that has that particular word/phrase/whatnot registered, complains. R - stands for a registered trade mark.

Bronze badge

My understanding is that a trademark exists as a consequence of its use as such within a field of activity. Registration is useful in the case of a dispute, by providing a verified date for claimed use. i.e. not essential, but desirable.

A Trademark is not a Patent

Why the sloppy reporting of: "The patents were uncovered by NeoWin..." Tabloids journalists get this sort of thing wrong but I expect better of a Technology Website.

Bronze badge

Re: A Trademark is not a Patent

except in the USA?

Silver badge

I believe there are subtle differences in the use of language, between the English speaking countries and the American speaking countries.

Silver badge

Ahem...

'The English speaking countries and the American speaking country."

No plural on the 2nd one

You're welcome

Bronze badge

I beg to differ , most Taiwanese and Phillipino English speakers have an American accent. Probably a few others too where the English is American due to their cultural domination. Even in the English colony of Australia the kids affect a bastardised American/Australian accent as a matter of course.

Zot
Bronze badge

True, I have emails from people from all over the world where English is not their first language, and they spell everything in the American way without any exception, just like The Register it seems.

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft really do need to sack their marketing and branding people, they really are rubbish.

One of the big brands they have, XBox was rejected by the marketing team until consumer research proved that XBox was the most favoured name out of a list of possible names.

Silver badge

" XBox was the most favoured name out of a list of possible names"

It makes you wonder how crap the real names were that theshiny-pants marketing lizzards proposed.

Silver badge

" XBox was the most favoured name out of a list of possible names"

"It makes you wonder how crap the real names were that theshiny-pants marketing lizzards proposed."

Given Microsoft's normal naming conventions, I'd dare say that Their marketing dept was wanting to name the original Xbox the 'Windows Gaming Console - Home Edition'.

Bronze badge

The mods and the trads

I suspect a lot of ... eh ... tards here will remain trads, with start menus and everything. Despite the trad-marks. Well, you gotta be somebody, ain't ya?

That Italian coat, please, I'm outta 'ere.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.