Tape library supplier SpectraLogic has petitioned the United States Patent and Trademark Office to review one of the patents which lies at the heart of an IP infringement lawsuit it has been battling since 2012. The patent's holder, Overland Storage, is a distressed tape library and scale-out disk array storage vendor currently …
Taking the ball home
Can't make a profit?
Hey, let's just try and stop anyone else from doing so.
Re: Taking the ball home
Not in all instances. The whole point of a patent is to protect your invention so you CAN make a profit, otherwise it will always be those with the best economies of scale, who will. I agree that this has been abused, born from "dodgy" patents used to stifle genuine competition rather than to protect an invention. But that is a government/law issue to resolve.
Digging in the bucket again eh El Reg?
I know it's New Year and the El Reg staff are probably three sheets to the wind but couldn't you actually discuss the merits of the patent rather than just writing another sewage story?
- DAYS from end of life as we know it: Boffins tell of solar storm near-miss
- Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU
- Bose says today IS F*** With Dre Day: Beats sued in patent battle
- The END of the FONDLESLAB KINGS? Apple and Samsung have reason to FEAR
- Review Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid: The plug-in for plutocrats