Feeds

back to article Will Amazon spin up its OWN disk-based archive in 2014?

Amazon's Glacier archive is beginning to look too slow in its data retrieval compared to disk-based services from suppliers like EVault with its LTS2 service and pretty instant retrieval. What could the Bezos behemoth do about it if LTS2 captures customers who would otherwise have chosen Glacier? Glacier costs $0.01/GB/month, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

As somebody who is not convinced about cloud backup..

This is a service I would definitely consider.. Glacier was to slow. But being able to give the compliance team access to an offsite archive that responds quickly and delivered at a low cost.

Yes... another Tier

This makes sense. Is the customer for this faster tier real small business and does cloud only backup? What would a larger business use it for, if a deep archive wouldn't Glacier make the most sense? For me, I'm more excited or interested in the decreased costs of Glacier for extended family photo archives and I store important documents just in case my laptop blows up. I would think Glacier is best for "just in case" solutions. Oh... the most important stuff for retrieval is in Gmail accounts. Free is best and I don't mind TLAs trundling through my stuff.

Glacier infra

I perseverate - sorry.

I stumbled upon this and thought it rather interesting. Perhaps a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Or a bit of indirection?

Either way, one lift quote I found interesting:

http://www.spectralogic.com/blog/index.cfm/2012/8/24/Economics-of-Tape-Indicate-Warm-Waters-for-Glacier

Additionally, the economics of Glacier are not competitive with tape. Glacier's pricing is being promoted it as low as $0.12 per GB per year. The comparative costs for a Spectra T-Finity tape library are $0.0008 (cost per GB per month amortized over 5 years). Add in power, floor space and personnel costs for all 5 years and the total cost should still be well below $0.01 per GB per year for the period.

I'd think if it is close to a $.01 per GB per year, there is plenty of headroom for Amazon (assuming Glacier is tape) to come down in price.

Price is not the only lever

If Amazon is interested in competing with eVault it is surely far more likely that Amazon would lower the access time than lower it's price. If Glacier is based on tape then the 5 hours response time that Glacier offers could be brought down to minutes, the 5 hours is not a constraint of the underlying storage technology.

This topic is closed for new posts.