IDC's storage software beancounters saw a smidgen of growth in the storage software market in the third quarter, with bright spots in data protection and management. The data comes from IDC's Worldwide Storage Software QView, from which IDC releases headline info. If you want any more detail, like data segmentations by vendor, …
Symantec aquire Veeam?
I really hope not... Veeam is pricey enough as is
As more and more is moving into the virtual realm, traditional storage sw is really losing its appeal. When you have a non-virtualized app, protecting and performing storage level services at the LUN/volume level made sense. It makes no sense to this when you are running many VMs on a LUN/volume.
You get a lot more flexibility and better protection doing it at the virtual disk level. Whether it is something like Veeam, Zerto, etc. it is just generally the better way to go for "storage sw". And it is storage sw, after all they are performing storage sw services, only it is at the hypervisor level.
You also can remove vendor lock-in by not adopting their replication in particular.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- UNIX greybeards threaten Debian fork over systemd plan
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes