IDC's storage software beancounters saw a smidgen of growth in the storage software market in the third quarter, with bright spots in data protection and management. The data comes from IDC's Worldwide Storage Software QView, from which IDC releases headline info. If you want any more detail, like data segmentations by vendor, …
Symantec aquire Veeam?
I really hope not... Veeam is pricey enough as is
As more and more is moving into the virtual realm, traditional storage sw is really losing its appeal. When you have a non-virtualized app, protecting and performing storage level services at the LUN/volume level made sense. It makes no sense to this when you are running many VMs on a LUN/volume.
You get a lot more flexibility and better protection doing it at the virtual disk level. Whether it is something like Veeam, Zerto, etc. it is just generally the better way to go for "storage sw". And it is storage sw, after all they are performing storage sw services, only it is at the hypervisor level.
You also can remove vendor lock-in by not adopting their replication in particular.
- Nokia: Read our Maps, Samsung – we're HERE for the Gear
- Ofcom will not probe lesbian lizard snog in new Dr Who series
- Kaspersky backpedals on 'done nothing wrong, nothing to fear' blather
- Episode 9 BOFH: The current value of our IT ASSets? Minus eleventy-seven...
- Too slow with that iPhone refresh, Apple: Android is GOBBLING up US mobile market