back to article Samsung sees RDK as route to DOMINATION of US set top market

For as long as Faultline has commented on this industry, the set-top market in the US has been dominated by the cable TV industry – which in turn has been dominated first by Motorola and secondly by Cisco. Things have changed somewhat over the years, in that Pace has led a challenge from the UK and in direct to home satellite …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

let's hope it brings...

the ability to mask all non-subscribed channels.

2. Bob H

The thing that most people don't distinguish or realise is that Samsung is a conglomerate and that as part of that one division doesn't generally work with the other. Samsung isn't a minor player in PayTV STBs but they aren't among the top vendors, their retail consumer products are a separate division from their Pay TV business. The adoption of RDK by Samsung is a late play but I am unsure if they can really leverage it well with their customers.

3. Rupert Stubbs

Won't solve the main problem

of lots of different content providers trying to keep control of their little empires.

There are already widgets for things like Netflix and iPlayer on loads of different boxes, but it doesn't mean that all their services will work together. What everyone is waiting for are things like unified search - if I want to watch Midnight Run, I don't care which of the services is providing it (as long as it doesn't cost extra).

4. Mage Silver badge

Wintel

It's getting further from WinCE & Intel

(BT actually changed the EXISTING user's boxes from WinCE to Linux).

Intel inside on TVs and Setboxes was Intel's plan. But they are now collectors items.

Why are Apple allowed to call their Streaming Media box that has NO tuner and NO screen an "Apple TV"?

1. Rupert Stubbs

Re: Wintel

"Why are Apple allowed to call their Streaming Media box that has NO tuner and NO screen an "Apple TV"?"

Damn, how did the Literal Naming cops let that one through? And then with the iPad (it doesn't absorb blood). And the iPod (there are no seeds or astronauts in there). And the Macintosh (not waterproof)...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like