back to article Xiaomi taps the HYPEGEIST with 10 pence DIY Wi-Fi router

What do you get for the geek who has everything this Christmas? Well, if you’re in China and you have 1 yuan (10p) to spare, Xiaomi has just launched in beta a self-assembly smart Wi-Fi router with a 1TB hard drive. Announced by former Android product manager Hugo Barra in a Google+ post on Monday (h/t TechInAsia), the new Mi Wi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Wait.. What?

10p Why?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Wait.. What?

10p for the 1st 500.

Unlike most companies these days, they most likely gave you a discount for being an early tester. Not the usual US version of "fuck you over for a premium for being 1st, fix the mountain of bugs and missing features, then slash the costs" mentality.

Anonymous Coward

Cant be

April 1st 2014 come early in el reg ?

Or was it a geeky wet dream ?

Silver badge
Meh

My ISP was first to do the 10 pence DIY Wi-Fi router

Maybe that explains all the dropouts.

Silver badge
WTF?

the closest thing to Apple one can find beyond Cupertino. ®

Yeah, nothing says "Apple" like a build it yourself router. Or a terabyte of storage for 10p.

Silver badge

Re: the closest thing to Apple one can find beyond Cupertino. ®

Have you seen their other offerings?

Their MIUI version of Android looks to be genuinely well thought through:

http://en.miui.com/features.php

But yeah, their stated business model is to sell hardware at close to cost, and make profit by selling services on top of it - a model that is closer Amazon's than Apple's.

Anonymous Coward

Only 10 being sold at this price - obviously it's a buzz-generating "sale".

Stan.

translated

Keep scrolling until you get to the 'Thunder Platinum Membership Card HD download necessary fetish party'.

Bronze badge
Pint

Disapppointed!

It could of been so retro... I was expecting it to assemble into a wooden box, a bit like the Apple I...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums