Feeds

back to article Oz couple get jiggy in pharmacy in 'banned' condom ad

Oz prophylactic outfit Four Seasons Condoms is enjoying a runaway viral marketing success with a "banned" advert for its Naked Condoms deemed unfit for Downunder TV. The firm teamed up with comedian Gary Eck to produce a series of "spots" featuring the escapades of "Raquel and Tyson", and intended to "create a campaign aimed at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Well, it's got to be a lot cheaper than a TV ad campaign, and probably provides a better boost to sales...

Anonymous Coward

He needs a hair cut.

Anonymous Coward

"He needs a hair cut."

Definitely. The 80's look isn't good. Men shouldn't have long hair, that's for girls.

Silver badge

wow

>Men shouldn't have long hair, that's for girls.

Granted I agree looks wise but your comment is far too close to the buzz cut redneck ahole yelling get a haircut hippy. Have a downvote.

Anonymous Coward

They both look like girls, is it a lesbian thing? Femidoms?

Anonymous Coward

"knocked it [the spot] back asking for the removal of all sexual references"

Then you don't have an ad at all. The product itself is a sexual reference.

Bronze badge

Funny that..

Why is it that the only ads worth watching are distributed on Youtube only?. A far cry from the feeble attempts that do actually air, they're not even trying.

Pretty much expains why I haven't watched live TV, or TV ads, for well in excess of a decade, and have no plans to change.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to buy some condoms. Though, I'll test them at home...

Re: Funny that..

How do you know what the "feeble attempts that do actually air" are like if you haven't watched any for over 10 years?

Silver badge
Happy

It's quite refreshing to be honest.

Raised a bit of a titter, ooh, er.

Australia's CAD (Commercials Advice) - which classifies ads for TV broadcast - "knocked it [the spot] back asking for the removal of all sexual references"

I like that. I guess the Puritans (wait, I thought they all went to the Americas? Were some transported to Australia?) who staff this pile of puerile shite department don't want condom commercials at all then? Which makes sense - the kind of people who staff these things (or worse, make the asinine rules they follow) would probably have been better off caught in a condom tip, not eventually growing up into who they became.

CAD is a department of Free TV Australia. They make and police the rules about television content.

Free TV Australia, by the way, is 100% owned and operated by the commercial TV networks. "Puerile shite" is all they do.

Silver badge

Have they ever shown a movie that included any scenes of the beast with two heads? It would seem rather contradictory if they had!

I think you mean "the beast with two backs"... or you're talking about this dodgy horror flick: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069372/

Pint

"Have they ever shown a movie that included any scenes of the beast with two heads? It would seem rather contradictory if they had!"

Are we talking about documentaries about Tasmanians having sexual relations?

Man... some of my fellow Australians are rather uptight and could use a good shag... especially those muppets in CAD... after a couple of nice relaxing beers.

Cheers

Silver badge

Well caught :) my apologies, you are odd course correct.

Silver badge
Coat

"Well caught :) my apologies, you are odd course correct."

In your favor, I'll say that the beast in question usually has also two heads, unless there's something really nasty* going on.

* e.g. one of the participants is Lindsay Lohan.

Silver badge

Can't see the problem with this being shown later at night? Methinks perhaps it is not the 'sexual reference' being inappropriate but rather a religious prejudice \ prudishness on the part of a few individuals in a position of power with half an excuse acting as a fig leaf.

Silver badge

Probably your standard complaint pattern...

Mary Whitehouse style person witnesses ad and is offended and writes to world plus dog to complain.

World plus dog read complaint and write to complain, having never actually seen it.

Silver badge

Re: Mary Whitehouse wanna be

> Probably your standard complaint pattern...

Mary Whitehouse style person witnesses ad and is offended and writes to world plus dog to complain.

More like that the MW type hears of plans, sets out to be offended and then complains

Re: Mary Whitehouse wanna be

Watching TV with intent to be offended...now that would be an offence (sic) I could support.

"Come again!...."

Did an El Reg hack have a hand in the script?

Re: "Come again!...."

*groan*... and upvote.

Silver badge
Joke

Hmm, Apu and the Kwik-e-Mart in the Simpsons are never going to seem quite the same again with that ad stuck in the back of my memory...

I did have a titter at that line.

Anonymous Coward

Hilarious

Anonymous Coward

Brokeback mountain version

I wonder what the comments would have been like if this had been two guys...

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: Brokeback mountain version

Bearish...

Bronze badge

Aka "Soreass Hill" - yikes, watched that film and all I could liken it to was a David Attenborough documentary on gay men - Troy has its lady of soundtrack sorrow - that had its twink of tremendous terrain.. and is it me or do they look far too related.. ?

Anonymous Coward

> Bearish...

Class, Sir. Class. :)

Silver badge

Pathetic

Calling her mother, noticing that toothpaste's on sale while f*cking? The earth clearly does not move for her. Either the condoms are rubbish or the hairy Romeo or both... Or is it normal in Australia?

Silver badge

Re: Pathetic

You see this ad carries a serious message, a commercial interest and a comedy element. That part is the comedy element.

Silver badge
Coat

@Vlad

And just what do you think that your girlfriend or wife is actually thinking about whilst you are "nuptualising"....

Silver badge

Re: Toothpaste

It's a similar joke to one in Rab C Nesbitt:

MARY DOLL: Rab, I don't mind you having a fag before sex, and I don't mind you having a fag after sex. I don't even mind you smoking a fag during sex, but do you really have to go down to the kitchen and light it off the gas hob?

Silver badge

@Magnus_Pym

"You see this ad carries a serious message, a commercial interest and a comedy element. That part is the comedy element."

Yeah, I see that. The trouble is they've used a wrong joke - "if you buy this rubber your GF would rather be on the phone to her ma..." Own goal!

@Khaptain

"And just what do you think that your girlfriend or wife is actually thinking about whilst you are "nuptualising"...."

What a woman is really thinking? How would I (or anyone) know??? All I can say - I never saw her calling the in-laws or heard her discussing shopping during the process.

Anonymous Coward

> And just what do you think that your girlfriend or wife is actually thinking about whilst you are "nuptualising"....

Mine doesn't think much, if the snoring is anything to go by. :-(

Anonymous Coward

Never discussed shopping?

Sad. So sad.

Silver badge

Its nice to see things have moved on down there

since oz foreplay used to be 'brace yourself Sheila!".

Silver badge

Who would want to ask for a 'Small'?

I assume that (to borrow a joke from Larry Niven) the sizes are: Large; Extra Large; Gigantic; and OMG I can't believe it!

Silver badge

Re: Who would want to ask for a 'Small'?

Aren't condoms sold in relation to the countries statistics.

ie : An Asian "Large" condom would be the equivalant of a very small Scottish condom. ( We wear Kilts for a reason, lol)

Silver badge

True, there was an article by the BBC on their news site about that. Every so often a group of individuals would deliberately read it to get it on the most read section on the front page. They most have orchestrated quite a campaign as it 'popped up' quite often.

There is some modest variation between some ethnicities and therefore to a slightly lesser degree by location (due to increased mobility) . The actual amount isn't that much. I would also question the sample size as to eliminate all the possible variables you would have to do a lot of measuring !

Bronze badge

Ah, I see the problem - a condom is not for keeping your sporron dry.

Silver badge

Stats to be found here

My sporrans made from beaver, it keeps it nice and dry..... Just don't ask what kind of beaver.....

Silver badge
Joke

Or more likely "Large", "Extra large", "Horse" and "Liar"...?

On holiday in the channel islands one year, girlfriend and I realised that we hadn't packed any condoms. So we went into Boots to buy some. There was a cute girl, possibly late teens/early 20's, behind the counter. I looked at the large selection of condoms on display and exclaimed, "Damn, they haven't got any in extra small!". It made her laugh.

Anonymous Coward

...or "Regular", "Insecure", "Overcompensating", and "Liar"

Bronze badge
Joke

Or more likely "Large", "Extra large", "Horse" and goddammed "Liar"...?

FTFY!!!!

Meh, you're not supposed to wear them on your head

D'ya ken?

Silver badge

"( We wear Kilts for a reason, lol)"

Lad, I don't know where you've been, but I see you won First prize!

"The Scotsman" http://www.allerdice.net/scotsman-song.htm

Bronze badge

"We wear Kilts for a reason, lol)"

That is not a kilt - it's a mini-skirt ;-)

Anonymous Coward

"We wear Kilts for a reason"

So you have always got the excuse "It's not usually like that, it's just cold out"?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.