Feeds

back to article Linux Voice journos hit crowdfunding target

A brief update on the crowdfunding efforts of three British journalists, who left Linux Format to launch a new magazine. They have hit their £90,000 launch target for Linux Voice, 14 days before deadline. At time of writing, Andrew Gregory, Mike Saunders and Ben Everard have received £93,000 in pledges. They have an interesting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Totally misread

Thought they were giving 50 cent back to the community, thought they were being cheapskates.

Either way sounds interesting, got annoyed with linux mags being almost as many adverts as actual content pages.

Silver badge
Linux

I wish them all the best. Thing is, I never seem to have time to read any of this stuff.

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: I wish them all the best

Ditto.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to gloat at the naysayers who hoped the fundraising would fail, and remind the anti-choice nuts that diversity (or what they stigmatise as "fragmentation") is actually a very good thing (except for the anti-choice fanatics and aspiring dictators, who want to impose their limited preferences on everyone else, obviously).

Bronze badge

Hooray!

And thank you ElReg for bringing it to my attention.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge

Re: Linux

is for queers. Seriously, is any still using this?

Yes it is. The thing you forget is that it's also for straight people. It doesn't discriminate. Isn't the GPL fabulous?

Silver badge
Linux

Linux is for everyone so, strictly speaking, you are not wrong.

No. Straight people use BSD.

Silver badge

@Fruminous Bandersnatch Re: Linux

Bob has been reading the LGBT licence by mistake. It's his late night surfing habits - a bad time to concentrate.

Anonymous Coward

Nobody uses Linux or BSD*

Straight people use Windows 8. They also don't shower, moisturise or work out and can't dance or put together a good outfit.

Poofs use macs.

*Those that do are a rounding error.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Isn't the GPL fabulous

Is that 'fabulous' or 'faaaaahhhh-bulous'

Linux

Despite the fairly obvious troll traits, I was going to comment on (and down vote) your original post. But a moderator quite sensibly removed it.

For some statistics on the relative usages of linux v BSD, take a look at http://w3techs.com/technologies/comparison/os-bsd,os-linux. BSD is not even in the running in an environment (servers) where it could be expected to be used. On the desktop it is not even a rounding error. I log statistics of OS/browser types hitting my website. I don't see any BSD anywhere.

And I note from your posting history that you have an apparently disturbing set of phobias. Seek help.

Silver badge

@AC

Straight people use Windows 8. They also don't shower, moisturise or work out and can't dance or put together a good outfit.

Are you saying that black folks aren't straight? You racist bastard. (since we all know people of darker skin are naturally better dancers than us white folk)

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: "This post has been deleted by a moderator"

Strange, I thought Ballmer's flock of shills had been recalled ages ago, after Vole realised they were fighting a losing battle, but it seems there's still a few strays wandering about (apparently somewhere in the southern states, from the right-wing, homophobic tone).

Anonymous Coward

I stopped reading Linux Format for 2 reasons;

1. The volume of advertising was reaching a point were it seemed as if there were more ads than content. This, as I understand it one of the many reasons why the gents behind Linux Voice left LF to start this venture. Kudos.

2. The editorial line. It seemed to focus on slagging off other non-OSS platforms. Talk about preaching to the choir! This issue is down to the writers and editorial staff, so I'll ask, nay beg here; don't do it. It makes you look either smug or small and sometimes ill-informed. We get enough of that online! It ruined for me something that was otherwise extremely well written.

Congratulations on succeeding with phase one gentlemen. I look forward to reading your new magazine.

People still buy magazines?

Happy

Oh yes indeed. Because taking a tablet into the bog with you looks a little, shall we say, suspect.......

...and not only does it look a little suspect, but have you tried wiping your bottom with one when you realise the paper's run out?

Bronze badge

Only for the "free" DVDs. Occasionally they contain software that justifies a year's purchases of the mag.

So I stopped buying one "mainstream" mag after it ditched the DVD.

This topic is closed for new posts.