back to article Evil Dexter lurks in card reader, ready to SLASH UP your credit score

Cybercrooks have created an improved version of the Dexter point-of-sale malware that's being blamed for slurping the credit and debit card details of holiday shoppers. A new version of Dexter, first discovered by security researchers Seculert about a year ago, has been planted on 31 infected point-of-sale terminals, located in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Windows

The only secure bank account is an empty one, with no overdraft facility.

Silver badge

"The only secure bank account is an empty one, with no overdraft facility."

Only if you can be absolutely certain the bank will not honour a payment and put the account into a (more expensive) unauthorised overdraft.

Silver badge

Anybody know...

...whether the PoS tills run an embedded version of Windows, or one of the full-fat versions?

Just curious.

Bronze badge

PoS

Aptly named.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Cash rules

Ok.

No tracking,

No 'you shopped at Subway. Perhaps you want this bag of dope?' adverts

Silver badge
Facepalm

"..a few theories about how the Windows-based malware is spreading."

I no longer think POS stands for Point-Of-Sale, but Piece-Of.....

Facepalm

I have an idea...

I was troubleshooting some VPN issues a while ago, and when I reviewed the logs I noticed that there had been some access that looked like attempts to log in to a certain 'enterprise point of sale' system. Could this be related? Some retail systems might be set up for remote access with quite lax security?

V.

Silver badge
Meh

'Windows-based malware'

This common phrase is due for it's own icon.

Holmes

Possible source of contamination

"Hey, minimum-wage drudge, how'd you like to make a $1,000 just to slip this thumb drive in when no one's looking?"

Facepalm

Data is sent via FTP?

"Data is sent via FTP to hosts based in Russia"

Why is a POS system even able to FTP back to a server in Russia?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums