Flash furtler Fusion-io has a new sales boss, Ian Whiting, who replaces the retiring company's chief sales officer, Jim Dawson. Whiting comes to Fusion-io from Riverbed, where he was the senior veep for Americas sales and, before that, Brocade, where he was SVP worldwide sales until ex-CEO Michael Klayko took over the job …
FIO needs to scale out & lower prices
They have great core tech and it seems their SW stack is getting in order and their Nexgen acquisition was a logical step but it did put them at odds with some pf their partners and they scale far better, let alone FIO's crazy pricing... even in high-end setups they seem to be limited - take their demo at SIGGRAPH, it sounded impressive (12GB/s for VFX stations) until you check the setup: ioControl hybrid array (policy-based caching already at work inside), fronted with EIGHT (8!!!) PCIe cards in a HP WS plus an external PCIe expansion case (presented as "server-side caching" aka ION Data Accelerator, I guess?) PLUS direct IB connection to ioFX cards in individual artist workstations...?
If the caching takes place automatically all along the way that's neat but the setup is still a mess, the array only goes to a pitiful 192TB (what's the recommended action beyond that, 'manual tiering' between more boxes?), the "server" config is essentially a hack and due to the very high FIO card count pricing likely to be through the roof (8 cards just in the "server", you kidding me?)
- Nokia: Read our Maps, Samsung – we're HERE for the Gear
- Kaspersky backpedals on 'done nothing wrong, nothing to fear' blather
- Episode 9 BOFH: The current value of our IT ASSets? Minus eleventy-seven...
- Too slow with that iPhone refresh, Apple: Android is GOBBLING up US mobile market
- Analysis Uber, Lyft and cutting corners: The true face of the Sharing Economy