In an unanticipated move, Apple has acquired Twitter analytics firm Topsy – though what it plans to do with its latest purchase is anyone's guess. The Wall Street Journal reports that Cupertino recently snapped up the six-year-old venture-backed startup for more than $200m. Topsy specializes in analyzing data from the Twitter " …
It will be interesting to see what Apple does with this technology
It doesn't really seem to fit in with any product or service Apple currently offers. It may be for something they're doing that even the rumor mill hasn't managed to guess at yet.
Who knows, if Apple does do a TV someday, maybe this will be used to scrape tweets and tell you what people are watching/tweeting when you can't find anything to watch. That's pretty thin reasoning, I admit, but it was all I could come up even thinking about rumored Apple products/services :)
Call me cynical
... but something tells me this will make Topsy less useful for me.
Well that's me out
I'm going to set up some nice bots to tweet disparaging remarks about Apple 24/7 now.
Siri seems the best fit
I'd assume any software that can deal with Twitters feed can deal with Siri's raw data feed without breaking a sweat.
Of course the real story here is...
The last paragraph there, "Apple did confirm the purchase, a spokeswoman said...."
Wait, did Apple confirm directly to El Reg? Are they talking to you again?
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- First Crack Bloke buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- First Fondle Register journo battles Sydney iPHONE queue, FONDLES BIG 'UN
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM
- TOR users become FBI's No.1 hacking target after legal power grab