back to article Dixons selling £68k gold, diamond, ruby and sapphire iPhone for Xmas

Anyone short of ideas for the stocking filler this Christmas and with a spare £68k down the back of the sofa can look no further: it's time for a Gold iPhone from the Dixons Retail concession at Harrods. The Jesus mobe, made by one of Harrods' commercial partners, is housed by a 24 carat case with over 300 22 and a half carat …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone thinking of buying one should remember Ebeneezer Scrooge and how that story ended.

1. JDX Gold badge

Happily.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Cashing in

> how many £68k iPhones it has sold or expects to sell

But will they manage to sell a £30k extended warranty to go with it?

3. FartingHippo
    Boffin

Obvioulsy not a jeweler

"300 22 and a half carat VVS1 diamonds - the clearest ones know [sic] to humanity"

1. VVS1 - very very small internal inclusions. Internally flawless (IF) and flawless (F) are both better grades.

2. A half carat VVS1 of a reasonable colour (D to G say) would set you back a grand plus. I suspect that there are 22 and a half carats in total.

1. JayB
      WTF?

Re: Obvioulsy not a jeweler

Sounds reasonable.. and if my numbers are correct..

300 stones with 22.5ct total weight - if they were all diamonds, they'd be about 2.75mm dia each (ish - 0.075ct per), with a height of approximately 1.9mm - so the case thickness would need to be 2mm up to avoid cutting through. Which sounds a bit thick to me... I mean... if this is all done properly and it IS 2mm all round (assuming stones around the sides), we're looking at almost 21cm3 of case material. That's nearly 400g of metal.....

4. Phil A.
    Coat

£68K?

I thought iPhones used an ARM chip, not a 68000

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Silicon on Saphhire!

But is 68000 is a modification made by "£" corporation, so it actually is a drop-in replacement.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

£68k?

So only slightly more than a Monster Cable.

Still trying to get my head round the thought that Dixons is the last word in luxury electronics purchases.

1. Simon Harris

Re: £68k?

"Still trying to get my head round the thought that Dixons is the last word in luxury electronics purchases."

Just wait til you see their gold plated Amstrad music centre with diamond knobs (it'll still sound pants though!)

6. mdava

Twattery

Even if I win the Euromillions ten weeks in a row, I'm still not stooping to this level of conspicuous consumption.

7. DSGiTechGuy

*SKU

bloody auto correct

1. toxicdragon

Clairvoyance or time travel?

8. DSGiTechGuy

Find out the SKI and available quantity can be found out easily

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£68k for a phone

And there are people who cannot afford a pot to piss in. Good motivation to pick up a copy of Das Kapital.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: £68k for a phone

But it's not easy to make a pot to piss in from the useless crap that is "Das Kapital".

I can, however direct you to Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk's "Karl Marx and the Close of His System"

10. Goldmember

What I want to know...

...is what happens to these things next year when the inevitable new shiny comes out. And, diamond encrusted or not, according to fanboi law this model instantly becomes an ancient, outdated piece of shit. Is there any demand for the complete product to be resold, or is it simply ripped apart and the diamonds and gold scrapped/ sold off?

11. Simon Harris

Lipstick and pigs...

... come to mind.

12. mrfill

200gm!!!!

That's way too heavy for the frivolously stupid. Their poor little wrists would probably snap.

13. Brad Ackerman
    Big Brother

I'm sure a certain Patriarch is on the way to Harrods as we speak to put in his order. His photographers can airbrush it out in post, just like the watch.

14. carrera4life

Capitalism.

If sold to an oil sheik, Russian oligarch or premiership footballer, then cheap at half the price. What other way is there to extract money from these people so as to ensure that funds spread downwards through society?

When individuals horde their wealth, we all become poorer as a consequence. I say double the price.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonga?

I thought the only people who shop at Dixons are the ones who use Wonga and Cash converters? I dont think Wonga will lend 68k?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like