Feeds

back to article Microsoft hires Pawn Stars to shaft Google

Microsoft has turned its guns on the Google Chromebook as the "Scroogled" campaign enters its nastiest phase yet. Redmond has hired the stars of a reality television show called Pawn Stars to help with its anti-Google Scroogled campaign. In an imitation of an episode of the show, a reality programme about the colourful …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Can't you put something more useful on the Chrome hardware like Windows?

Anonymous Coward

You spelt Linux wrong.

Silver badge

"Can't you put something more useful on the Chrome hardware like Windows?"

Sometimes. They're not just plain ordinary Intel PC boxes.

With at least one, you need a hacked version of the firmware (along with the risks of bricking that go with that), then you can load ordinary windows onto the laptop.

With others, it's impossible. So no, it's not a seamless, easy and cheap way to get a wintel laptop.

JDX
Gold badge

>>You spelt Linux wrong.

So did you. It's called GNU/Linux.

Silver badge

Really hardcore computer users don't use linux or windows

They write their own operating systems from scratch!

Chrome OS is based on Linux

1 RDP to a windows box or "wine".

Wine won’t run on ARM but will work properly on Intel Chromebooks.

2 install Ubuntu or the like...

Can't you put something more useful ...

Yes - Ubuntu Linux.

[Writing this on my Chromebook now fully equipped with Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice Gimp etc etc thanks to the clever developer(s) of the 'Crouton' script]

Brilliant!!!

Silver badge

It's called GNU/Linux.

Pronounced "nullinucks". As in 'I gave him a swift kick in the nullinucks'

Silver badge

Yep, don't let RMS see this thread, he'll blow a fuse, or brick his BIOS.

Bronze badge

and you spelt wrongly wrongly, so you can be safely ignored, much like Linux I suppose.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Really hardcore computer users don't use linux or windows

> Really hardcore computer users

...don't need no operating system.

Bronze badge
Happy

Really hardcore

Cute girl. What was the video about?

Silver badge

Re: Really hardcore

> What was the video about?

Butthurt.

Boffin

I don't think you can use Scratch to write an operating system.

Who is old enough to remember the Singer/ICL System Ten? No operating system on that box.

Maybe all you need is an EMACS implementation then..

Anonymous Coward

!Subtle under tones

Hi thanks for having me on.

This advert REMINDS me of those strange sort of AMERICAN adverts that emphasise WORDS they REALLY want the watchers to take AWAY. The SORT of advert that REPEATS the MESSAGE so that the OBVIOUSLY stupid watchers NEED to be told MANY times.

In the ADVERT they will EMPHASIZE words so that people WATCHING the video get the MESSAGE.

The MESSAGES in these VIDEO is often EMPHASISED to make sure the viewers get the MESSAGE.

Ideally they should end with a single line SUMMING up the MESSAGE because the viewers will only remember the LAST MESSAGE because they are obviously stupid.

I refuse to believe the average American is THAT stupid.

Thanks it's been a pleasure.

Silver badge

Re: !Subtle under tones

"Tell 'em what you're going to tell them. Tell them. Then tell 'em what you've just told 'em".

And the other old marketing cliche. "Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

However, for all the stupidity of the advertising, Microsoft does have a point. Chromebook is a bit useless without a decent broadband connection.

Silver badge

"However, for all the stupidity of the advertising, Microsoft does have a point. Chromebook is a bit useless without a decent broadband connection."

Agreed. Their marketing champaign is sleazy at the least, but they're still right, chromebooks are pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection.

Anonymous Coward

"However, for all the stupidity of the advertising, Microsoft does have a point. Chromebook is a bit useless without a decent broadband connection."

You've fallen for the ads as well?

Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection? It is probably a very rare occurrence.

However Chromebooks have local storage (usb, sdcard) for movies, music etc. All documents from Google Drive can be simply opened locally for offline use (they re-sync automatically when you get a connection). Emails can be read and responded to offline (they are uploaded when re-connected). Many apps can be used offline., etc.

Finally, isn't Microsoft trying to get everyone to use their cloud services, anyway?

In fact most of what you would want or expect to do can be done offline with a chromebook.

Silver badge

REMINDS AMERICAN WORDS REALLY AWAY SORT REPEATS MESSAGE OBVIOUSLY NEED MANY. ADVERT EMPHASIZE WATCHING MESSAGE. MESSAGES VIDEO EMPHASISED MESSAGE. SUMMING MESSAGE LAST MESSAGE THAT.

Damn. It doesn't look like there's a secret message in there at all. Maybe there's some other kind of cypher I'm missing.

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Yoda, please don't take any more cocaine, we're really worried about you.

LDS
Silver badge

"Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection? It is probably a very rare occurrence."

On my last hours-long flight, last week? It's a very rare occurrence if you don't travel only. And even when not flying, if you're in a foreign country with no free wifi access and crazy data roaming prices, you may want to keep your wireless data usage to a minimum.

Chromebooks are useful only for nerds who never leave their basement.

Silver badge

Last time I used a Notebook without an internet connection? About 10 minutes ago. Well, it was my Windows tablet, but no internet connection.

Bronze badge

You haven't been to the USA much I am guessing, one can hardly make any ironic or especially sarcastic comments that aren't followed by jk, jk or something to explain quickly. Obviously I am talking about the North and West in general, I wouldn't risk it at all below the Mason-Dixon line.

All the American shows, network ones at least, always assume the viewer is that dumb, constant flashbacks to three minutes ago where a particular event crucial to the on-going plot occurred.

Constant channel changing is the culprit I expect

Bronze badge

Why would I write an email on a laptop for uploading later when I almost certainly can knock it off on a 'phone and send it now? It would have to be a pretty complicated email.

I would almost certainly tether the Chromebook to the phone and then work.

This is fine if you pay for the extra data required for commonly doing that. I presume editing on-line, mapping etc. can get pretty data intensive.

Still, a laptop without connection metering would be worse for sure and as bad at best.

The overall problem is that I could not do with just a Chromebook so I would own a laptop anyway.

Useful for people with powerful desktops instead I guess or people with the spare money.

Because they are not that cheap I would buy a netbook or a surface anyway.

Silver badge

"Their marketing champaign is sleazy at the least, but they're still right, chromebooks are pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection."

It's also a bit hypocritical given what they were originally going to do with the Xbone.

Anonymous Coward

Re: !Subtle under tones - FIXTED

Hi thanks for having me on.

This advert reminds me of those strange sort of AMERICAN ADVERTS that EMPHASISE words they really want the watchers to take away. The sort of advert that repeats the message so that the obviously stupid watchers need to be told many times.

In the advert they will emphasize WORDS so that people watching the video get the message.

The messages in these video is often emphasised TO MAKE SURE THE VIEWERS GET THE MESSAGE.

Ideally they should end with a single line summing up the message BECAUSE the viewers will only remember the last message because they are obviously stupid.

I refuse to believe THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS THAT STUPID.

Thanks it's been a pleasure.

I think people get by now that a Chromebook is limited without an internet connection. So what? If I want to check my email, watch an online video, check my (google) calendar or buy something online then a top of the range PC is pretty bloody useless without an internet connection.

If a chromebook offered enough of a price advantage, performance advantage or battery/size advantage then I'd be tempted to get one over a standard laptop if I was looking for one or the other.

Silver badge

Sarcasm is an art that was never practiced in this country. Approximately 49% of US inhabitants couldn't correctly identify sarcasm if their lives depended on it. About 49% of the remainder have a severe humor deficiency all the way around, due to the fact that they're in over their heads regarding life in general.

Most problems can't be shot or eaten so they feel helpless, thus humorless. The remainder are the weird people who had too much school and foreigners who can't speak English. The foreigners are assumed to only be discussing drug smuggling, impregnating white women or their massive campaign to take all the jobs, so it doesn't matter what they say.

Irony is something the women do when they're bored. Alternatively, irony is kids with wealthy parents advancing a corporate beer marketing campaign by eschewing corporate marketing campaigns.

There are advantages though. When party guests have overstayed their welcome you can start a run of Flying Circus and within 20mins everybody is gone. You can also deliver devastating insults and have no fear of repercussions as they'll believe you've just paid them a huge compliment.

The sound of one hand clapping.

If an insult falls and nobody understands it is it really an insult?

Silver badge
Coat

"Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection? It is probably a very rare occurrence."

Every morning and evening, actually - on the train to and from work. I have a laptop because I need a development machine. If I wanted to just browser the web, I'd get a tablet.

Silver badge

Re: The sound of one hand clapping.

It's even better if the insult isn't understood due to the targets ignorance. It's a 2 for 1 deal.

Anonymous Coward

> Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection?

I'm doing that right now!!

Errr... :-b

Bronze badge
Meh

@John Tserkezis - Re: !Subtle under tones

Wrote :- "they're still right, chromebooks are pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection"

I might be wrong, havn't used Windows for years, but I have the impression that you can't get very far with Windows without an internet connection these days, especially with their newer software rental business model.

Bronze badge

Re: pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection

Office 365 anyone?

Bronze badge

There are individual very smart Americans (I know several) but I am afraid that the average is very low indeed.

Deprressing, but I don't think the septics have a monopoly on having a generally ignorant population anymore (assuming that was ever true) . Going on my experience of what seems to be the most popular telly and Brit news Interweb, us Brits are running you yanks a very close second if not leading by a head.

A quick rummage through recent news stories on the most popular sites (Daily Mail, Metro), especially those concerning more "technical" news , will show us up, both in the language used in reporting and that used in the public responses.

I don't think this a class/wealth related issue either, except that if you come from a wealthy back ground there is less excuse for being a dumbass than if you come from a "less wealthy" background.

Anonymous Coward

Sadly, the average American is that stupid. What's even more sad is that half of them are worse than that.

Re: The sound of one hand clapping.

The sound of one hand clapping is 'CL'. The other goes 'AP'. (Terry Pratchett, I think)

Bronze badge

The overwhelming message I get from these ads

is that Microsoft is both desperate and sleazy.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: The overwhelming message I get from these ads

Or they are targeting ads according to market. There was that anime IE thing in Japan the other week... and this kind of brazen ugly advertising is normal in the States, their TV/radio advertising is VERY different to ours.

Silver badge

Microsoft also had an advertising campaign in Japan based around the recent Ghost in the Shell: Arise anime.

It showed various members of Section 9 doing what they do holding and passing around a Surface, which contained some important data or something.

The problem with this, as anybody who is familiar with GITS knows, is that the people shown (I remember at least Motoko and Batau in the ads) are cyberised, i.e. they are cyborgs with cyber-brains (implanted computers) together with some kick-ass comms. They had absolutely no need for a Microsoft surface to do the things that they were supposed to be using it for!

Just showed that either MS or their advertising agency really did not know what they were doing. I suspect that the animators probably felt a bit dirty to have done the ads, but only until the money hit the bank!

I think that the ads are still knocking around on YouTube if you want to see them yourself.

Bronze badge

"Just showed that either MS or their advertising agency really did not know what they were doing. I suspect that the animators probably felt a bit dirty to have done the ads, but only until the money hit the bank!"

Didn't Microsoft almost get vista advertised on Family guy?

PR department thinking fail is not exactly a rare occurrence.

In fairness though.. Is it any worse than Cybermen talking to each other.

@Peter Gathercole

Thanks for that. I really enjoyed the Ghost In the Shell tv series a decade ago and I've just watched that offending advert. I don't think I've ever seen anything miss the point so badly before.

Oh, and cheers for the heads-ups about the new GITS...

Silver badge

Chromebooks must be doing well

It's impressive that Microsoft is feeling threatened by the, what, 1% marketshare of Chromebooks?

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Chromebooks must be doing well

I sure am interested in getting one now ...

Silver badge
FAIL

it doesn't have Office.

So that'd be a plus then… Funny, I just bought a laptop recently, and it didn't come with Office either. Not that its 32-bit version of Windows 7 lasted very long.

In fact, I wonder what stops a Chromebook from running Office 365…? Isn't it meant to be "web" based?

This post has been deleted by its author

JDX
Gold badge

Office 365 includes native applications - Word/Excel/etc you install as normal - AND web-applications which you can run through your browser on Chromebook.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.