back to article New exploding whale vid once again shows true porpoise of internet

As The Reg noted last month, exploding whales have made an important contribution to the Internet. But in the years since that marvellous film was made, inferior cat videos have become the net's dominant video content (we're not counting smut, okay?) and deflected the internet from its manifest destiny. Now, however, comes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Not_The_Droids

Umm...

Happy Thanksgiving, folks in the US enjoy your stuffed Turkey. And don't think about how that hollow region was made...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Umm...

So-called "stuffing" is asking for food poisoning. I serve separately baked "dressing" instead. The six currently in brine wild birds will be going into the smokehouse somewhat before sun-up. And yes, I hunted 'em, killed 'em, cleaned 'em, and plucked 'em myself :-)

Not all Yanks think food comes from Safeway/McDonalds.

1. Fibbles

Somebody add turkey hunting and an aversion to proper stuffing to the list.

Have we nominated an official chronicler?

1. jake Silver badge

Or maybe, Fibbles, you could ignore me & actually get a life of your own instead of following me around in a vicarious manor. Try it, it ain't exactly rocket science.

1. squigbobble

"following me around in a vicarious manor"

I can only picture this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaK917Dm3zg

2. DiViDeD

Ah, I remember with the deepest fondness our childhood holiday weekends at Vicarious Manor. Always felt it was meant for someone else though

2. Jared Hunt

Re: Umm... @Fibbles

Turkey Hunting and dislike for stuffing duly added to the list :D

2. Charles Manning

Why would stuffing cause food poisoning?

Assuming you stuffed the bird just before roasting, the stuffing itself should not breed and bad stuff. Any bad stuff is going to come from contaminated meat inside the cavity which is still there whether or not you stuff the bird.

And yes, I've hunted, killed, cleaned plucked, stuffed and eaten a few birds too.

1. jake Silver badge

Charles,

If the stuffing doesn't come up to proper temperature in the cavity, the juices leaking out of the bird contaminate the stuffing, leading to potential food poisoning (think incubator). If the stuffing does come up to proper temperature, the bird is way over cooked & dryer than a popcorn's fart.

An open cavity during baking cooks from the inside & the outside, killing the bugs.

HTH, HAND.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Charles Manning

Thanks for your clarification, but what birds are these? Food poisoning off commercially raised birds might be commonplace but real hunted birds should be OK.

Never been sick from eating all sorts of stuffed birds myself.

2. skeptical i

Remember this well, my child, The Day it Rained Meat.

Maybe it'll next rain potatoes to go with it.

3. Tel
    Mushroom

Thats one heck of a LOT of ambergris...

4. Denarius
    Coat

cant help myself

sharp implement (flensing knife ?) in belly of dead cetacean. That takes (and gets) guts...

Mines the one with brown smears

1. Scroticus Canis
      Unhappy

Re: cant help myself

Correct Denarius the "nasty hook/knife implement" is indeed called a flensing knife. Isn't this common knowledge any more? Looks like "general knowledge" is becoming the latest oxymoron. :(

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: cant help myself

"Looks like "general knowledge" is becoming the latest oxymoron"

To be fair, for most people under the age of 40 or so, their only experience of whale hunting is seeing Greenpeace protests on the TV. It's rare for a documentary to cover whale hunting or processing partly because it's much less of a spectator sport these days but mainly because it's not especially politically correct to show the slaughter and butchering of what may be an intelligent creature (for some value of intelligent depending on personal choice)

I do have some colour slides of whales flensing in the Faroes that my dad took while up there many years ago. I'd forgotten about them but happened to come across them just the other week while working through the process of scanning his thousands of slide.

As an aside, my spilling chucker doesn't have "flensing" in its repertoire.

5. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Pint

Cool for cats

20 years ago, back when the Shamen were webcasting, the cat-scan people put up a website for people who put their cats on scanners. Keeping cats may be cruel, but their owners were internet pioneers.

Nowadays, you'd think it was for Computer Aided Tomography. To the barricades, cat lovers! Where's the nostalgia icon?

6. Turtle

Maybe you can find some *other* internet somewhere...

"(we're not counting smut, okay?)"

(Why the fuck not?)

1. Darryl

Re: Maybe you can find some *other* internet somewhere...

That's what i was wondering... If you're not counting smut, then you're only dealing with about 4% of the internet...

7. ShadowDragon8685

The reaction on that poor man was priceless. He was all "NOPE! Not stayin' here!" and did about as much of a legger as it is humanly possible to do in an orange plastic suit.

8. Mark Solaris

Too bad about the convertible parked on the right of the picture.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The internet moved me.

I saw this and Wrecking Ball Chatroulette version on the same day, not sure I'll ever feel right about the 'net now.

10. Steve Kellett

Am I the only one...

Who is immensely glad that olfactory information is not yet included in the YouTube video codec?

Just imagining it brings tears to my eyes...

11. BlinkenLights

No Combustion Involved

I know I'm being pedantic, but the line "here's another COMBUSTIBLE CETACEAN" is just wrong.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: No Combustion Involved

Frankly, I think he should be glad he wasn't smoking at the time..

2. auburnman
      Headmaster

Re: No Combustion Involved

To heap pedantry upon pedantry, Combustion <> Combustible. I'm sure a dead whale bloated with gas is plenty combustible.

12. FartingHippo

So very, very close to immortality

If Mr Orange had been standing 1 meter to the right he would have become an INTERNET LEGEND, and not just a character in another amusing video.

1. Darryl

Re: So very, very close to immortality

He would've been almost as legendary as the guy who got his head shoved up an elephant

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One for the health and safety book, whale explosion, lost work tool.

If I could control my upchuck response long enough to watch I would like to see where the knife goes.

1. squigbobble
      Trollface

Re: One for the health and safety book, whale explosion, lost work tool.

Out of frame. If that one's bad, don't watch this whale evisceration- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCr9fG_Z4iw

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: One for the health and safety book, whale explosion, lost work tool.

Oh the steamy putrescence heading towards the camera, no that's not a good day to be a video camera operator.

There are days when I.T. doesn't seem so bad.

14. Thomas 4

It's beautiful

It serves as a perfect metaphor for the nature of political discussion on the internet and humankind. We are all, on some level, an exploding whale.

1. Darryl

Re: It's beautiful

Sometimes you're the exploding whale, sometimes you're the guy standing in front of the stuff flying out of the exploding whale.

15. Kernel

Stinkers

I once read a book on the subject of commercial whaling, back in the days when real men stuck a sharp stick into the whale from a rowboat and then held on to the string with a firm grip.

It seems that sometimes the whale got away, only to die later from the wounds and, if it felt so inclined, at this point it would float around on the surface - often for many days. Occasionally a whaling ship would come across one of these 'stinkers', as they were known, and haul it in to reap someone else's just rewards.

The phenomena of a stinker exploding when poked at carelessly with a flensing knife was not exactly unknown, but it appears the crews were normally just too busy at the time to video it and post on Youtube.

16. George Nacht

A bit off topic

but how they were planning to clean the bones, once the knifework is done? I mean, do they have a vat big enough to boil the bones? Or are they going to use REALLY MANY hide beetles to eat away the remaining flesh? Both ways, it would be almost as interesting to watch as explosion itself!

This topic is closed for new posts.