Feeds

back to article DVLA declares J14 HAD on BU14 SHT and SL14 AGS

Blighty's Drivers and Vehicles Licensing Authority (DVLA) has announced a list of vehicle registration numbers which won't be available to wags looking to take advantage of the latest "63" and upcoming "14" plates. The 14 plate will hit the streets in March next year, and the authority's staff have weeded out potentially …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Not so obvious

I learned to speak Hebrew many years ago, it was far easier than trying to understand some of these plates

I still can't see what the following are TR14 DDS, LU63 FER ( Lucifer ?)

and what's wrong with SK14 NKY ( Skanky, I presume)

And this takes a fair bit of imagination SP14 STK.....( Spastic ?)

The only one that was remotely intelligent was HU63 NOB .... As it used both of the numbers, whereas the others only used one, or required the fusion of the the two....

Someone at DVLA has a very OR16 NAL job...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not so obvious

But then UR16 NAL ought to be included or they could be accused of taking the piss

Anonymous Coward

I think they hit A5 NAG with this

HU63 NOB...? SOMEONE ought to buy that and secretly affix it to Bojo's motor... I don't get 'BU14 SHT; I'm assuming it's 'bullshit' but, surely, 'BU11 SHT' makes more sense...? You can't have OM6 WTF, either.

Anonymous Coward

TR14 DDS - triads.

-1 DVLA

Bronze badge

Being an ex- DVLA employee, technically DVLA don't sell you the registration, you lease/licence it from DVLA. The registration mark is the property of the Secretary of State for Transport (the position, not the individual), what you purchase is the right to display it on A vehicle.

Silver badge

Technically, you buy the plate from a registered plate producer.

You can't rent or own a "number". "Numbers" are entirely conceptual.

NO63 NDS

That is all

Bronze badge
Joke

DVLA

So this is the DVLA's attempt to stop people embarrassing themselves in public and looking slightly knobbish.

Hang on, doesn't that mean they should stop selling personalised number plates full stop?

Facepalm

You must have some very sensitive people on your side of the pond to be so offended by a number plate that says SP14 STK that you have to ban it. Very sensitive indeed.

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"Spastic" is a lot more offensive on this side of the briny than it is stateside.

Silver badge
WTF?

@katjap

this from a country that banned "WTF" in licence marks ?

Thumb Down

No senses of humour allowed

Shirley only a disabled motorist would choose to have the number plate CR14 PLE and thus is not offended bye it.

Red tape bureaucrats with sense of humour surgically removed.

Trollface

Re: No senses of humour allowed

Ohhhh.. I read it as CRAPPLE and assumed Apple had been in discussions with the DVLA!

Def
Bronze badge

Re: Spastic

It is? Someone clearly forgot to tell me that when I was a kid.

If people are stupid enough to pay the money, and others are stupid enough to try to interpret them let them.

If the DVLA droids actually thought about things and introduced a decent system when they changed the regularions (2001?) we wouldn't be discussing it ...

Bronze badge

DVLA have no involvement with creating or ammending regulations. Any ammendments are done by central government.

BO11LUX isn't on the askMID database, DVLA must have retrieved it.

Silver badge
Coat

Then I suppose that M I4 NGE, is not available either

Silver badge

BO11LUX isn't on the askMID database

or it's not insured

UT02SER

B'ah. That just means its not insured.

Last time I heard, the owner who paid £400 for it, had it up for sale for £22,000

Silver badge

History

I once saw the famous PEN 15 on a car in the late 70's. I can't even remember what car it was on. Is that still around/allowed? (You have to ask questions about the character of someone who wants that on their car.)

Re: History

I remember seeing OBO 110X on TV when I was younger, possibly on That's Life or something.

Seems that one is still in circulation.

I saw PEN 15 on a white Roller, a Silver Cloud I think, near Kew Bridge (London) in around 1974. Made my day.

Bronze badge

About fifteen years ago, PEN15 was on a read Porsche 911 in the South London area. There's some plonker who drives a top of the range BMW around Hampstead with the number plate MAF1A. My Siciiian wife spotted it at a petrol station in Belsize Park and actually made a point of telling the driver he was a twat!

Re: History PEN 1S

Steve Parrish had it on his Merc Sports

Bronze badge

Steve Parrish still had it back in August this year... he also owns 6OCK.

www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/racing/motogp/20131/august/you-ask-steve-parrish-answers/

"You have to ask questions about the character of someone who wants that on their car."

He claims it was to stop his wife driving his cars.

Anonymous Coward

I saw it in the early '80s parked outside the student house I was living in. It was Lotus of some sort, an Esprit if memory serves.

Bronze badge

I do remember, when I lived in South Wales, there was a neighbour with a dark grey 5 series BMW, plated ADM 1N. To his favour though, he also had a bright red Ferrari plated RAT 10N.

There was also a Daimler I often saw with the plate JOI 1N, but he'd put the fixing screws in the centre between the I and the 1, making JOHN

One of my mum's late friends had that as her number for years; she didn't mean it to be offensive - it was supposed to be 'Peni's' but, obviously, you can't have punctuation on plates.

Anonymous Coward

I need a break from the Reg...

Am I the only one who saw CR14 APL and thought of crApple?

Bronze badge

Re: I need a break from the Reg...

no you wern't

Silver badge

Re: I need a break from the Reg...

I fell into the same trap....

Silver badge
Coat

It's rather clear that the DVLA cannot spell properly.

Anonymous Coward

Back in the dawn of time my teenage chum had a Triumph Herald with 505 EXY as the plate.

I bet he wishes that he still owned it :)

Bronze badge

Wy would he still wish he owned a Triumph Herald?

xyz

Woman down the road from me has

O S0 5EXY

and back in '99 I was terrified my new Merc would turn up with V 51 GNS. Luckily I missed it by 8.

Heralds were neat, that's why. Just as long as its got the original bonnet, not the later pseudo-vitesse one.

Silver badge

Dirty minded people at the DVLA

It's a bit of a stretch to see those strings of letters and numbers. The DVLA are acting like schoolboys that have just discovered that they can look up "rude" words in the dictionary.

Silver badge

Re: Dirty minded people at the DVLA

Wait! What?

You can look up rude words in the dictionary!?

But these things are available in schools! BAN THEM!

Bronze badge

Wait! What?

VinceH, where will the kids go on weekdays if schools are banned?

Silver badge
Childcatcher

Down the mines, where they belong!

Bronze badge

Let's face it, we're all just marking time.....

....until August 2019 whan we can get all those '69' plate cars - they can't ban them all !

Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's face it, we're all just marking time.....

September 2019

Silver badge

What a load of sh11 tee

Talk about tenuous, and prudish.

By this criteria, I'm sure there are many older plates already out there that would fit the criteria.

Vanity plates are so sad anyway. Besides, why would I want a plate that was easier to remember? Harder to get away with fleeing an accident that way :-)

Re: What a load of sh11 tee

That'd be 'criterion' - criteria is plural.

Yes, I'm a pedant. GFY! ;oP

WTF?

A bit late aren't they?!

I can confirm (as I've seen it with my own eyes more than once) there is a vehicle in the northwest of the UK bearing the registration number: PE51 NIS. They missed that one by a country mile and then some.

Offensive? Fuck Nooooo!!

Funny? Sure is.

DVLA (or any government dept for that matter) should get a life or over themselves. There's too much misery in this country (let alone the world) to be so anal about such innocuous things. Anything that brightens my day by making me smile or laugh is more than welcome in my world.

Even though it could be construed as "toilet humour", it produced a positive outcome even if only for a few seconds. I'll take that each and every day of the week thanks!!

ICON?

Cos I'm sure there's a few cars out there registered with that combination of letters!!

Wankers!!

Anonymous Coward

It's weird what they let through and what they don't.

There was a Focus (RS I think) near us for years that was "KN03 OFF" Which I think is clearer than many of these banned ones.

Spoilsports

They wouldn't let me have C11NTS for some reason...

Re: Spoilsports

I should probably add, my name is Clint.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.