back to article Hey, Microsoft, why don't you grab a beer with us?

The IT community can be a wealth of information and support. There is always someone out there that has an opinion - good or bad - or a problem that is similar to yours. When you don’t know someone, you can bet that at least one of your contacts does. It’s like reaching out to the fifth cousin of your third uncle. I wouldn’t be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Coat

It's not possible to talk geek about Microsoft...

... because the instant you do, there's always someone who will troll all over any chance of a reasonable discussion "because it's Microsoft".

(at least, on here).

Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not possible to talk geek about Microsoft...

Hate to dissapoint, so here you go:

"When supping with the devil, use a long straw."

Bronze badge

Yes it's the culture

after all, if everyone helps each other and gives out information/training for free neither MS or resellers make any money. Very shortsighted thinking.

Are things about to change maybe?

Not so for the SQL Community

The MS SQL community has regular free events around the world and I have loads of help through Twitter from both MVP's and also some of the core architects of the SQL engine.

I think the problem the author is seeing is that there is no one MS group because the core technologies are so different. I personally don't want to go near Exchange or learn about it as it is outside my area of expertise. Whereas with VMware, I assume, everything within the VMware sphere is close enough that it makes sense to have just the one community.

Re: Not so for the SQL Community

How's that Technet thing going?. Oh dear it isn't.

Enough said.

Anonymous Coward

I'm just about to pack in my day job, move back to Europe from HK and make a stab at re-skilling in Windows Phone/Windows Store development while I recover my sanity from years of IBIT.

Interesting to read about communities available around MS stuff, I have been surprised at the lack of community driven, erm, communities. Maybe I'll start a beer focused group myself, specially as I'll likely be settling in Germany for a while *hic*.

Start something

VMware does have a great community, but it is a different space with a different scale -- Microsoft communities are indeed varied across different products and geographies and community cultures.

The way to start something bottom-up and community-oriented is, well, to just start it! vBeers started from a tradition of getting together at storage conferences which that gang was calling storagebeers. One guy started a site and boom, there's now a worldwide directory at http://vbeers.org/. Note that you're not actually required to drink beer to come to a vBeers.

So next time you're at a conference, get on Twitter and organize an event! I think there's room for #sqlbeers, #exchangebeers, #sharepointbeers, and more!

mstorey

Completely agree vBeers are great way to meet like minded people have a drink, unwind and discuss the world of virtualisation and cloud computing. I work with the London and UK VMUG committee and after our VMUG session we pop down to the pub and some great chats. At our London event we have around 60 people down the pub and the conversations are varied, eye opening and great to have. After the second beer to conversations get quite heated and fun but in a good and constructive way. Thanks for bringing this topic up

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums