back to article Got a NAKED Jelly Bean Samsung S4 or HTC One? Maybe it's time for a KitKat

Google has begun to roll out version 4.4 of its Android KitKat software to Google Play editions of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One. These special editions of the phone use the same hardware as other versions, but do away with the extra proprietary tweaks added by manufacturers. Kitkat has also been made available for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gene Cash Silver badge

No thanks

I'll skip the crappy tasting American chocolate!

I've set up my Nexus 4 to not accept OTA updates. I'm much happier with the non-cloudy stuff in Jelly Bean and the SMS app that hasn't been crapped on.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: No thanks

Kitkat is actually English, originally made by Rowntrees. There are Merican versions but they should never be considered as containing any "chocolate".

2. Slacker@work
    Meh

Nexus 7...

The update landed over the weekend, apart from the icons turning white rather than blue - no real difference...

3. eSeM

Oh Good .....

I am one of the many S4 owners using an i9505G Nexus rom on my i9505 ...... to get rid of all of the Samsung shit from the phone :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only they could do the same for the S3 and save use from the 4.3 Touchwiz update of death.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Kit-Kat rules

All our Nexus-4 phones upgraded to Kit-Kat this week and it's a big improvement in speed, battery life and appearance but staying up to date is a big reason to go with these phones. I love the absence of all those crappy little up-sell "improvements" appear on every other phone.

Some issues with EAS accounts were fixed by a mail-server upgrade, it seems that MSFT changed their documentation to include a small clause that if the device sends '0', treat it as 512. This code made it into the 4.4 client but of course mail-servers take a little longer to update.

1. Charles 9

Re: Kit-Kat rules

4.4 has been making the rounds in various custom ROMs. It IS rather snappier thanks to the new Android Runtime; but there have been some teething issues as well. I've been thinking about flashing to it myself, but I think I'll have to wait until those kinks get worked out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kit-Kat rules

No way we're upgrading our mail servers because Google can't test their code properly. Best thing is to refuse the update until Google issues a fix if you use Exchange Active Sync.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No update on Galaxy Nexus

Google says

"Galaxy Nexus, which first launched two years ago, falls outside of the 18-month update window when Google and others traditionally update devices."

Well much as I hate to say anything good about Apple my ipad 2 from 6 months earlier got iOS7. So those 'others' doesn't appear to include Apple?

Like the look of the new Nexus, but have had second thoughts. I'd kind of assumed that Nexus phones would get updates for a reasonable period but I want a phone that will get upgrades for longer than 18 months. Not sure what happens if there is another big security hole - I assume we'll still get 4.3 updates for that?

1. Charles 9

Re: No update on Galaxy Nexus

Most of the security issues fall to the apps, which DO get updated routinely outside the OS update cycle. When was the last time a security hole was found in the Android kernel or other base functions?

2. Anonymous C0ward

Re: No update on Galaxy Nexus

Plenty of unofficial ports on XDA, but there are bugs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like