back to article HIDDEN SHRINE from 500 BC found, may crack Buddha's birthday riddle

A team of archeologists have dug up the oldest Buddhist shrine in the world, literally shedding light on the birthplace of Buddha. The boffins found the 6th Century BC timber structure buried within the Maya Devi Temple in Lumbini, Nepal. Buddhists still make pilgrimages to Lumbini, where it's believed Buddha was born, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. i like crisps
    Trollface

"RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK".........well, nearly.

Did they happen to find loads of big Arse Prints in the ground nearby? cos

he/her/it was a Chunky Monkey wasn't he/her/it?

1. Swarthy

Re: "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK".........well, nearly.

Actually, Siddhārtha was an ascetic, so very probably quite lean. Especially if (as a story goes) he gained enlightenment sitting under the Bodhi Tree eating only the figs that fell near him and what birds brought to him, I'd guess he was the opposite of chunky, although he may have been a bit hefty before he left his father's palace to seek enlightenment.

The statues you are thinking of are Budai, who is a buddha, but not the Buddha.

1. btrower

Cannot stop myself

Become enlightened, lose weight

I am so contrite

2. i like crisps
        Trollface

No, No, No...i read the piece again and its about the possible birth place of

"Buddha". And the only icon, of this mythical being, that i've seen is a big

fat bloke sat on his arse! Now i don't care if its "The Buddha", MC Buddha, or

Bread and Buddha, as he, she, it didn't EXIST at any point in time or space.

I can see that you were attempting to ' Enlighten' me and for that i give you

an upvote, maybe one day you will be as ' enlightened' as me....in the meantime

always check the icon as it will let you know that i'm just being playful.

2. ginger_tosser

interesting enough story but....

...where's the IT angle?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: interesting enough story but....

Yin-Yang, 1-0, black and white, binary.

2. Mark 85

The IT angle is where ever you want it to be.. or maybe it's where ever it want's to be.

1. Stoneshop
        Headmaster

@Mark 85

Your apostrophe could be a little more zen, as it is where it doesn't want to be.

3. btrower

Seriously? Zen is at the center of hacker culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_koan

You should stop reading the Reg entirely until you understand this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

eff the artsy fartsy culture shite. Someone may never know who one of your favourite heros are, or have never heard your favourite anecdote, but that doesn't mean they are not a genius. I'd wager the opposite is true. So keep wanking to your favourite culture crap.

4. Mutino
      Pirate

Be at 1 with your 0s

5. codeusirae

"They used radiocarbon dating techniques as well as optically stimulated luminescence to gauge its age."

6. dssf

Re: interesting enough story but.... "Where is that

FRAKKIN' EYE", asks one of the Final Five on the Algae Planet. Thank the Lords of Kobol that this discovery was made.

7. The BigYin

Did you check the category it was under?

Even though your eyes are open, you may often fail to see.

3. PhilipN Silver badge

Enough with the squaddie slang

If they are out in the field getting their hands dirty (literally, in this case) they are not "boffins".

Good article. Keep 'em coming.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buddha's mum gave birth to him while holding a branch.

Round those parts it well may have been that Buddha's mum gave birth to him while holding a joint.

The stuff grows in the street.

5. M7S

"optically stimulated luminescence"

They fired frikkin' lasers at it?

This topic is closed for new posts.