back to article Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 ships, but still no RHEL 7 in sight

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.5 has reached general availability following a six-week beta period, making it the first minor release of RHEL 6 to ship since version 6.4 in February. As with previous RHEL 6 point-releases, the update doesn't bring any massive changes to the platform, but it does add support for a few …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Major changes

Delaying the release to Q1 next year won't be a serious problem for most customers. RHEL 7, based on what Fedora 18 and 19 look like, will introduce significant changes in how "things get done" from an operational standpoint (for example, replacing System V inits with systemd, as well as the ability to finally do in-place major version upgrades). As a result people are going to need to take some time to adapt their existing processes and procedures to accommodate those changes.

1. TrevorH

Re: Major changes

Based on RHEL 5 & 6, there was a public beta first followed around 6 months later by the GA release. If they follow the same pattern this time, even if the beta came out tomorrow, the GA wouldn't be until mid-2014.

2. fnj

Re: Major changes

Bwahahaha! If you think RHEL7 will show up any time close to the first of the year, I've got a bridge to sell you. We'll be lucky to get the BETA within a year from its promised date of early 2013. And GA will not be before 6 to 12 months after the beta.

The birthing of 7 is going to make the drawn-out cock-up of 6 look mild in comparison.

2. sjs298

Does it really include Docker?

I read the Release Notes and the Tech Notes and I couldn't find any mention of Docker. Is it really included?

1. Bill the Sys Admin

Re: Does it really include Docker?

I was under the assumption that Docker is still very young and still under lots of development? I was surprised when I read it came with 6.5 tbh

3. fnj

Hello? Red Hat is anyone paying attention?

I don't see anything in the documentation that indicates they have fixed the awful bug in KVM where a system with a Haswell CPU will no longer allow 64 bit BSD guests to boot. This is a really blatant and hideous bug.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wow

People really give a shit about Red Hat don't they? FIVE comments in three days?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like