Feeds

back to article HURRI-KANO: Raspberry Pi kit for kids STORMS past funding target

You don‘t know the POWER of the Dark Side Register. Yesterday morning we happened to mention that Kano, a UK-based company that wants to make a rather tasty Raspberry Pi-based DIY computer kit for kids, wanted $100,000 (£62,200) to make it so. At the time, it had garnered pledges totalling just over $34,000. Kano computer kit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Oh bother

I had a quick look at this yesterday, and thought I would buy one at the end of the week. Went to Kickstarter, and just missed out on the last $99 earlybird offer!

Oh well, I'll just have to join the unwashed and wait a bit longer....

Oh, and well done to everyone involved - surely that's the sort of thing Eben was aiming for with the Pi?

V.

Bronze badge

Can I be 6 again please?

That looks like just the right balance between being exciting to build and do stuff with and being simple enough to not send me ... I mean a child ... scurrying back to the Lego because it's too much like scary learning work.

Congrats Kano!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pi

Playing around with my Pi last night I realised why I love the thing. In the old days, I would install Linux on my PC, but I never trusted it. I felt I was only an update away from screwing my system(which happened). The more experimental things I put on the greater the danger.

With the Pi, I don't care. If I screw it up I'll just reformat the flash and start again. For that reason I am happy to throw some to the kids to play around with. The cost is minimal but allows them to explore and learn.

With that in mind the Hurri-Kano looks great and hopefully be an outstanding success

Silver badge
Childcatcher

Good, Good.

No unleash the power of the Turing Machine, young six-year old.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Good, Good.

"No unleash the power of the Turing Machine, young six-year old."

Do be aware that careless use of computational demonology can have.. consequences...

Silver badge

Consequences - yes, you might get taken to the, err, 'cleaners'

Anonymous Coward

"Consequences - yes, you might get taken to the, err, 'cleaners'"

A Capital idea, old chap.

Bronze badge

BUSI-ENGI-KANO

Dear Santa

Once this one is up and running maybe we can look forward to a commercial variant, with a few extra goodies in the box form someone like CIseco

The sort of thing that will drive in store AD Display boards , Very Remote control Home Automation like The Nest thermosat, or Video recorders, Entry systems, Home Delivery Boxes with a Webcam and a single button to call my mobile so I can unlock the box for the Postie\Courier etc etc

Better get my soldering iron out..

Silver badge

Re: BUSI-ENGI-KANO

Get yourself down Lidl (or was it Aldi)... I was in one of them on Monday and they were selling 'radio solder' with real lead in it. The new lead-free stuff (which I thought had been banned from sale) can be trickier to use (less grace time between heating it with flux and applying it) and less reliable.

Never mind that, where can I^HSanta get that keyboard for using with OpenELEC ?

My first thought as well, but...

Pledge $49 to get it according to the blurb.

Dear Santa,

I would like would like a Pi combined with a entry level 3D printer, and the 1st project being making a case for the Pi. Maybe also a box of components so I can build a PSU, then the sky is the limit.

Anonymous Coward

Dear Santa

I'd like a Via APC please. Or any other system-on-board that isn't backed by David "I Hate Second Hand Software" Braben.

Give with one hand, ream with the other. Yeah, I'll put my money elsewhere.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

But will they have it in Barbie pink for the girls?

Hello China

Nice idea.... but a lead time of 9 months to deliver?

The only really bespoke stuff here is the (short) manuals and the tweaked operating system. By the time they finally deliver (July 2014) I expect the Pi world will have moved on and someone else will have filled the demand they kindly identified!

Anonymous Coward

Just shown this to my kids primary school head and they seriously impressed, especially with the new changes in the curriculum coming. Needless to say my 6 and 10 year would love to get there hands on this.

Is barbie pink commercially available? I recon it is.

Mine's the one with the David Dickinson orange tint.

Anonymous Coward

All sold except the $119 kit which includes whole wide postage.

$400K now

This topic is closed for new posts.