back to article You can't touch this: It's HAMR time for WD

In September 2012, Seagate boss Steve Luczo gave a presentation using a HAMR technology disk drive. Now, more than a year later, a WD exec has done the same with the company's own HAMR tech drive. There's got to be a joke here: WD exec nailed it with HAMR? If all you have is a HAMR every disk is a nail? (Give it up - Ed) HAMR …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

STOP

HAMR time!

1. Harvey Trowell
      Stop

Re: STOP

Icon fail.

2. oiseau
    Coat

3Tb drives. Nice.

Hello:

Hmmm ....

Food for thought:

Whatever will we do when our nice 3Tb HDD goes titsup?

Just wondering where all 3Tb of varied stuff will get backed up. (and no, 'not' in the cloud ... )

Cheers.

1. LAGMonkey
      Thumb Up

Re: 3Tb drives. Nice.

One would think that it would be backed up to one of the 4x 3Tb drives i have running right now in my home NAS.

But I understand your point.

My response is that if we get a 3Tb 2.5 inch drive we will prob get a 8Tb 3.5 inch drive (or higher density).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sort of like asking how will we ever back up 20GB of data 15 years ago.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Sort of like asking how will we ever back up 20GB of data 15 years ago.

Not.

Only the paranoid ever backed up 20GB of data 15 years ago.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Or people that already had a Conner drive fail...

3. UnauthorisedAccess

My solution, two NASes, primary rsync'ing to the secondary weekly. That way I can handle total NAS death, rather than just relying on RAID1 to save me.

Really important stuff, like photos, are periodically backed up to USB and stored off-site. I'm not as diligent at doing this as I should be - I'd prefer to rsync them to an offsite NAS (other security issues will have to be addressed).

1. Remy Redert

I have about 4tb of assorted files. Games, anime, movies, PDFs. The vast majority of which is entirely replaceable. My backups are a couple of gigabytes worth of hard to replace PDFs and personal files. RPG info, character sheets, etc.

If my HDD dies, it'll take an hour to reinstall Windows, another hour to get the software I use a lot and then I start reinstalling games and downloading anime I'd like to watch (again) over a period of weeks. Most of it just things I've watched and deemed good enough to watch again some time, so I leave it on the drive until I ran out of space and start deleting some of it.

3. Pugwash69

I use software raid1 after more than one raid controller failure in the past. Hopefully fewer higher-capacity drives will run cooler and more reliably than the stack of 1TB and 2TB drives in my server currently.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like