Mobile phone operators in Pakistan have been told they have around a month to ensure all of their outlets are equipped with biometric thumb scanners, in a renewed bid to eliminate illegal SIMs. The scanners must be installed by December 1st in Karachi and December 20th nationwide, the authorities decided last week, according to …
It's actually pretty impressive that they're doing this in less than a month's time. If they tried that here in the US it would take years and years to implement. Come the deadline about 2/3 of those required to participate would start asking for exemptions because they screwed around for three years trying to weasel out of the program and not doing anything to meet their obligations.
Spate of thumb thefts are on the increase. Two victims came forward after waking to find their thumbs had gone missing. Government official deny that the bio metric requirements of sim purchase has anything to do with it.
Karachi Times 21/11/2013
Pakistan has the largest computerized ID scheme in world
Thanks to funding from uncle sam. I wonder how much of the data ends up in the hands of the NSA or GCHQ. Snowden?
Un huh. And people will just buy phones for other people.
Waste of time and money.
This is quite drastic measure and their security services will sure as hell track down the SIM buyer and ask some nice questions over/under a bottle of water. If/when they decide the SIM user being of disadvantage to Pakistan.
What about foreign anonymous pay-as-you-go SIMs roaming on Pakistani networks? No way to control those.
They can be attached to the SIM upon entering airport.
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Teardown Pop open this iPhone 6 and see where the magic oozes from ... oh hello again, Qualcomm
- Analysis Apple's warrant canary riddle: Cock-up, conspiracy, or anti-Google point-scoring
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? Oh God the RUBBER on my SHAFT has gone wrong and is STICKING to things