back to article My name is NOT Dread Pirate Roberts: Silk Road accused's fam'n'friends stump up $1m bail

Supporters of the man accused of being the mastermind behind online drugs bazaar the Silk Road have offered to stump up $1m in bail money. Ross Ulbricht is currently being held in solitary confinement within the Brooklyn Metropolitan Detention Center, awaiting trial for his alleged role in running the Silk Road. Federal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

exactly

What Assange's friends thought when they stumped up the bail money

You are an honourable man. I hate to kill you

The thing is, as the protagonist explains in 'The Princess Bride", is that anyone can be the Dread Pirate Roberts. They retire after making what they consider to be a retirement-proof pile of cash and pass the name on. Could this be used as a harbinger of 'reasonable doubt'?

Anonymous Coward

...pointing to his history of charitable work....

As did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Madoff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy

as did Hilter and Mussolini

as did many nasty people.

Not saying he is anything like those, but please don't use that old one as a defence....

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Rob

Re: ...pointing to his history of charitable work....

Bring your list bang up to date with current affairs, you missed off Jimmy Sa-vile

Silver badge

:(

It's weird how Jimmy Savile is now a figure of revulsion based purely on allegations. I have no opinion either way - well, that's not true, I believe in "innocent until proven guilty before a jury of his peers" which hasn't happened.

So therefore, that's an innocent man. A dead innocent man who can't defend himself.

And that's pretty sad.

Silver badge

OK, I know that this is the Independant and not the high court but even if only 10% of these figures are true they pretty much speak for themselves.

JC_

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty before a jury of his peers"

By that standard, Hitler was never found guilty by a jury of his peers and should be considered innocent.

On the basis of the evidence, it's entirely reasonable to state that Jimmy Savile was a child-molester.

Anonymous Coward

Hitler killed himself before he could be tried for anything, Jimmy Saville died before he was even charged with anything many years after the alleged crimes.

Silver badge
Stop

I think there are plenty of eye witnesses and physical evidence remaining in Hitler's case. Not to mention that even at Nuremberg the actual charge was "prosecuting an illegal war of aggression" which could certainly be proven, even posthumously.

And "child molester" is strictly inaccurate anyway. It is only alleged that he was predatory toward adolescents (not that this is much better but at least they're a lot less defenseless).

But you have invoked Godwin's Law on this discussion anway so you lose.

JC_

But you have invoked Godwin's Law on this discussion anway so you lose.

Well, no, you're invoking it, not that it matters; I could have used Stalin or Mao, for example, who lived out their natural lives without ever going before a jury of their peers, but were no less cupable for it.

These are extreme examples, but there to show that the fact a person dies before being charged does not make them "innocent".

The evidence is that Savile was a child-molester.

Silver badge

Solitary Confinement?

This was only pursued to attack copyright infringement. I am no fan of breaking the law, even stupid law, but seriously, WTF?

I am amazed at just how much latitude our authorities are given. There seems to be no limit to what they will do and what the public will accept.

I am convinced that the reason things have gotten so excessive is because people in authority suffer no consequences when they cross the line.

History tells us this: You can push the people a long, long, long way, but eventually they will push back and when they do, they push really hard.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Solitary Confinement?

Yet another example of Obama's Justice Department running totally out of control.

Maybe Obama will hound this guy to suicide, too.

Silver badge

"Maybe Obama will hound this guy to suicide, too."

Yeah, because he's personally responsible for every one of your laws that put the guy in jail in the first place. You should totally blame him for everything.

Silver badge

This was only pursued to attack copyright infringement.

Um....no. Silk Road, AKA the Amazon of illegal drugs, is not a Pirate Bay-esque operation. This has nothing to do with copyright infringement. The specific charges filed against him are murder for hire and narcotics trafficking. He may have just been running a TOR exit node or he may have been running the entire operation*, but he wasn't offering downloads of you're favorite movie.

*I'm not familiar with the evidence in this case and not commenting on his innocence or guilt, but running a TOR exit node would explain why he was fingered if innocent. Though for that to be the case the FBI would have had do have done some very spotting investigative work indeed.

Anonymous Coward

...but running a TOR exit node would explain why he was fingered if innocent.

iirc silk road was running off a hidden service, so no exit node was involved.

Silver badge

iirc silk road was running off a hidden service, so no exit node was involved.

That could be. My knowledge of TOR is pretty much limited to the fact that I keep tracing attacks against my web servers back to exit nodes.

Big Brother

I vaguely recall something about the silk road website being on the same physical server as a TOR exit node.

Orv

He may not be in solitary as a harsher punishment. People are put in solitary for all kinds of reasons, including threats from other inmates. Some people even request to be put in solitary for fear of prison rape (which is not uncommon in the US.)

WTF?

>>Yet another example of Obama's Justice Department running totally out of control.

>>Maybe Obama will hound this guy to suicide, too.

Even although most of Obama's Justice Department laws were brought in during Republican times....?

Silver badge

Any idea why he is solitary?

Bronze badge

I think that he's in 'isolation' to protect him from one or more of the other inmates. A lot of people have been placed in 'isolation' for this reason over the years. In one or two cases (Dahmer come to mind immediately) this may even be justified. In others, including this one... I'm not so sure.

Of course, if he's dropped into Gen Pop and some lifer shivs him, the cry will go up as why he wasn't protected...

Silver badge

In others, including this one... I'm not so sure.

If he did put out hits on his rivals then some of them probably put hits out on him as well as soon as they learned who he was. Or worse, some of them are probably in there with him.

Anonymous Coward

Hope the Feds have better proof......

than they did with Aaron Swartz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to tell me how the accused harmed anyone besides perhaps breaking antiquated laws that were created illegally by moron politicians with racist and religious agendas.

Silver badge

Re: Hope the Feds have better proof......

You mean apart from allegedly hiring someone to murder someone else?

Because if only *trying* to get kill someone doesn't count as 'hurting anyone' and isn't worth punishing, then you should be letting a lot of people out of jail real soon and I assume you'll be happy to live alongside them.

Silver badge

Drug laws weren't created illegally. They exploit a loophole in the interstate commerce clause (the same loophole that's been exploited to the death of the 10th Amendment, but meh). I would also argue that not all of the politicians behind them had racist or religious agendas. Public health is the motivation for some of them. Look into how and why the FDA was formed ('elixir of death' is a good Google term to use) and you'll see what I mean.

Silver badge

"Someone needs to tell me how the accused harmed anyone besides perhaps breaking antiquated laws that were created illegally by moron politicians with racist and religious agendas."

Well, conspiracy to commit murder *is* an old law. Not sure about it being actually auntiquated, but it is antique.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums