back to article XtremIO in SSD brickup ballsup: 'We have seen over 150 ... so far'

An EMC exec has admitted that the SSDs inside the company's flagship XtremIO all-flash arrays have a high failure rate after installation. According to a transcript The Register has seen, XtremIO chief technology officer Robin Ren said at an October EMC boot camp that the dead-on-arrival (DOA) rate is too high. He said: “I am …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Too Cheap or Too Hot

Either the SSDs are budget models bought in bulk, relying on the overlying software protection to maintain data integrity, or the enclosures are sweating the SSDs to death.

Either option spells FAIL to me.

Silver badge

150 failed devices may seem a lot. But we need to know out of how many in total are shipped, before we can make a meaningful observation. And if we're being thorough, we should compare these figures against those of HDDs.

...is the number of X-Bricks that were rolled out in Limited Availability. Along with the 200 internal systems for training that would mean a total of 350 systems deployed in some form or another.

The 150 doesn't refer to the number of failures, but instead that of the 350 deployed systems, the failure rate seems high (without giving a specific number).

That could be 4, 10, or like 100. Unfortunately they didn't give us an actual number, just the number of units used to generate the sample size.

This is just another way EMC is protecting your data. If the equipment arrives DOA, then you don't have a chance to put your data on it, hence, lowing the change of data loss.

Facepalm

Didn't they just say how reliable their drives were.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/13/xtremio_slashes_at_solidfire/

"Ask SolidFire about the failure rates of consumer grade MLC flash memory and why they are not using eMLC for enterprise SSD resilience. XtremIO’s use of enterprise grade eMLC flash provides a major advantage in flash reliability and superior endurance from XtremIO write abatement techniques."

Guess drive failures are only bad when they happen to someone else?

Oh and they have RAID-6 but only protection against a single drive failure at GA (how you do that I can't imagine) and they have no spares, so when you go to service the failed drive that means you better pull the right one of the 25 SSDs in that UNPROTECTED array, or.... poof goes the array.

This is a GA product?

Anonymous Coward

It's called an X-BRICK for a reason

Seriously, for all the money EMC spends on marketing stunts, they should have hired someone in marketing to re-work the name. This has to be the worst, but accurately, named product in tech, ever.

Yes I also want to keep a car which needs its engine and fuel lines replaced day one

Look that is simply not true. The RAID rebuilds time is long and punishing to performance, even if XIO does not manage to lose data right off the bat. The reason why all of the big boys are lacking behind the start ups is because doing Flash or Hybrid right actually takes a lot of know how. If you cheap out and you use cMLC instead of eMLC the drive life and failure rate will be high for a very long time.

But I am sure they will get it right with time like they did with Clarion, of wait... right...that never happend.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums