back to article PlayStation 4 BLUE LIGHT OF DEATH blamed on power cords, TV sets, butterflies in China

Sony has, er, narrowed down the mysterious Blue Light of Death issues plaguing some of its new PlayStation 4 consoles to possible issues with the hardware, software or firmware. The entertainment giant has issued a troubleshooting guide for gamers who have found their $399 (£349) consoles suffering from a nasty case of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Trollface

Bloody Hell...

...did they have Kevin (The Work Experience Boy) assembling that

first batch of units?

Re: Bloody Hell...

Not sure if random joke or concise piece of satire.

Foxcon did use interns and students to assemble PS4s as credits for their coursework.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

oh yeah...completely forgot about Foxcon and the Students...i think you've

cracked it!

Silver badge

Perhaps the interns took some lessons from Schindler.

Anonymous Coward

Presumably the Xbox One will just work out of the box like most Microsoft products....

Bronze badge
Happy

No doubt Microsoft's box of tricks will have its problems too.

I'm not a fan of either company or any other for that matter, i

just find it strange that a company like SONY, who design

and manufacture their own Hardware should have problems

with an HDMI port...this is their bread and butter isn't it?

In any case i give you upvote, cause i like to think that we're

all winners here.

Anonymous Coward

Thats funny

No-one mentioned these problems on the Launch of the Wii U.

Mind you, only having sold 50 units is a pretty small sample size to find problems in.

Bronze badge

Funny that you should mention that...

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/11/student-interns-may-have-deliberately-botched-some-playstation4-hardware/

Anonymous Coward

Seriously... "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" That's their first piece of advice.

Still, at least they have narrowed it down pretty well to one or more of the "hardware, software or firmware". Although in true Sony fashion, their next piece of advice may well be "Sorry guv, you're gonna want to upgrade to the PS 5".

Bronze badge

Seriously...

next up, blame the wetware!

[c'mon, it's always the user]

Silver badge

Re: Seriously...

"next up, blame the wetware!"

Naw, They'll next blame it on inadequate DRM and pirates... somehow.

Silver badge

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" That's their first piece of advice.

Work tech support for very long and that's ALWAYS your first advice. It seems obvious, but few people try it before they call for help.

c'mon, it's always the user

Not always, but more often than not.

I'll be over here, thanking God that I managed to get promoted away from the hell desk way back when.

However for some serious HA stuff that's something of last resort. Turning it off and on again isn't always best for every situation......just most situations!

They may actually have blamed the DRM.

The PS4 uses a single HDCP encoded HDMI slot to connect to the TV. The TV compatibility issue might be that the HDCP on the TV is out of date or not configured correctly and the firmware update on the TV set may be a HDCP update.

Silver badge
Boffin

No! "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" is the second advice. The first should be, "Have you turned it on?"

(The flashing blue light might just be a reflection from the Police car behind them...)

Happy

Well at least...

…they didn't say, "You're holding it wrong."

Silver badge

Reminds me of an early BOFH, maybe the salts on the power cord have dried out, plug in the power cord and wet the other end with your tongue to replenish the salts.

Fzzzt!

Bronze badge

No, they're just saying that you're either plugging it in wrong, or plugging it into the wrong thing.

Anonymous Coward

And if you can't get the firmwares update for your TV all you need to do is buy a new one....

Anonymous Coward

"The PS4 uses a single HDCP encoded HDMI slot to connect to the TV. The TV compatibility issue might be that the HDCP on the TV is out of date or not configured correctly and the firmware update on the TV set may be a HDCP update."

You mean the TV that already works just fine with my BluRay player, PS3, Xbox and Cable TV box?

Surely HDCP should only be active when copy protected content such as a BluRay disc is being displayed?

Bronze badge

You kid not. As a grad student supervising electronics and physics lab sessions that involved an oscilloscope and power supply that was ALWAYS the first question.

Out of 1 million units sold, there will of course be a few thousand that brake. This isnt really news.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Actually,

If I bought a PS 4 and it could brake, that would be news.

If your post were about cars, it would be even bigger news.

The company said the number of systems affected by the issue represented less than 0.4% of units shipped to date. (Source, BBC.)

1 million units shipped;

40,000 units faulty?!

Silver badge

0.4%, not 4%. so 4000 units.

Anonymous Coward

You using a Sony calculator???

0.4% of 1 million is 4000 by my logic:

0.004 (remember that 1.0 is 100% and 0.4 is 40%, so 0.04 is 4% and 0.004 is 0.4%)

= 4000

Re: Actually,

Anyone know if sony have improved braking distances for the PS4? I know that the PS/3 was pretty impressive at 30MPH in a built up area.

Don't forget that sony made the 0.4 statement the day before release though! So....

Anonymous Coward

0.4% is just the number logged with Sony as faulty - and likely in itself is understated. Thousands more will be returned to vendors, or not yet logged. And yet more will remain unopened until Christmas - likely this is a few percentage points of failures for such widespread complaints...Sony have real issues here.

And then PoSN can't cope either lol. It's not like they were aware of the PS4 launch or anything?!

"0.4% is just the number logged with Sony as faulty - and likely in itself is understated. Thousands more will be returned to vendors, or not yet logged. And yet more will remain unopened until Christmas - likely this is a few percentage points of failures for such widespread complaints...Sony have real issues here."

Okay, I've read comments like this more than once now. The rate of manufacturing defects has nothing whatsoever to do with when the boxes are opened. Nobody is cherrypicking broken-but-unopened PS4s to save them for Christmas. For the people that do end up with a broken PS4 on Christmas, they will probably exchange their hardware at their retailer or Sony at the same rate they are today.

There may indeed be a bump if retailers' returns aren't counted in that 0.4% yet, but waiting until Christmas to open the box will not change the rate at which PS4s are returned. It may increase the absolute number of returns, but there will also be at the same time a corresponding increase in the number of working consoles that are not returned.

Anonymous Coward

Must be Audiophile Kit

If power cords can make a difference

Silver badge
Trollface

Of course they can make a difference !

May I interest you in our special Premium Line of power cords ? The copper wires have been enhanced with synthetic conductive materials in a special nanotube lattice that improves global conductivity, and the cord is now gold-plated to ensure that all the electrons go in the same direction. We guarantee a 20% improvement in electrical conductivity, at the low, low price of $300 per foot of Premium Line cording.

Get yours now, while supplies last !

Bronze badge

Re: Of course they can make a difference !

your not going to catch me out with that 'gold' nonsense again, I've got the real deal now, was assembled in space, by unicorns. works a treat

Flame

Whoa! Do you make network cables too?

Of course you do! Probably at $600 a foot!

And if you don't, I guess I'll just have to go and buy that nonsense from Audioquest.

Trollface

Made in SPAAACE

definitely oxygen-free, then?

I knew Sony was going with a PC architecture but switch it off and on again? Safe mode? Replace the hard drive? What's next? Go on the AMD website to download new drivers? I play on a console instead of the PC to get away from doing that!

Silver badge
Trollface

And the day they thought of including a hard drive, you were back on a PC without even realizing it !

It must be the same bunch of kids who designed and built the WIFI on the Sony VAIO pro laptops, it seems to be a theme with Sony. Build shit, then take no responsibility for fixing it.

Genius....

"Here are some of the symptoms associated with blinking blue lights issue:

blue indicator light blinking"

Happy

"Blue light of death" is boring...

The syndrome has a much more catchy name, it's the "pulsing blue dickpunch of sadness", apparently :)

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20131115

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Blue light of death" is boring...

You know, it wouldn't be the Register without someone associating a reference to human genitalia in the story :)

As long as that's all they insert.

fnar fnar

Bronze badge
Mushroom

What is it with morons linking to that painfully unfunny strip, CAD. If you find the urge to link to CAD, lie down and perhaps consult a doctor. If it persists, find or create an appropriate remix of the miscarriage strip.

Silver badge
Joke

@AC 23:12

Don't see anything specifying "Human"...

Could be a commentard from Wales, or New Zealand or similar...

needs to have a more snappy catchphrase....

like something a mechanic would tell you after doing a long whistling sound and getting his calculator out...

this is going to cost you son... this machine is blue blink'd ;)

Anonymous Coward

It would be made a lot more interesting by the addition of a single word beginning with the letter 'O', so that it can be reduced to the acronym 'BLOOD'...

So, perhaps Blue Light of Outrageous Death?

Blue Light of Obstreperous Death?

Blue Light of Ominous Death?

Blue Light of Obdurate Death?

Blue Light of Overwhelming Death?

Blue Light of Obfuscating Death?

Blue Light of Odious Death?

Blue Light of Orgiastic Death?

So many weird and wonderful options!

Coat

Hmm...

If your console has a flashing blue light and is also making a strange whooshing noise, then you may have been sent a TARDIS by mistake.

The replacement unit will arrive yesterday.

We've covered all the primary colours so what' next?

Red Ring Of Death

Yellow light of death

And Now Blue Light of Death

I'm just hoping that the Xbox One, the PS5 and the XboxTwo have Green, Violet and Indigo fault lights just so we can have a rainbow.

Silver badge

Re: We've covered all the primary colours so what' next?

Yellow is a secondary colour...

We haven't had a Green Light of Failure yet, and there are two secondary colours still available!

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: We've covered all the primary colours so what' next?

Maybe it is, but it's still a component colour of the rainbow.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums