back to article Sony scoffs at the Microsoft EX-BOX: A MILLION PS4s sell in ONE day

Sony shifted one million Playstation 4s in the first day they went on sale in North America. Although some users reported hardware issues, Sony's spring off the blocks bodes well for the release of their latest console in Europe and Latin America, which will take place on November 29. The Japanese firm is hoping the Playstation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

I'm sure they look lovely sat below a mammoth telly, but neither Sony's Betamax nor Microsoft's V2000 lookalikes actually appear to offer any compelling games to play at launch. Both the latest Killzone and Forza look mighty purdy, but bring nothing new to the table. At least when the 360 arrived it justified forking out a few extra notes to demonstrate how amazing the HD telly could be with Geometry Wars: RE and PGR3. All this new gen seems to demonstrate is how laughably partisan gamers still are.

Anonymous Coward

As pretty much all games these days are first person shooters of some variety or sports simulation games, I'd say that pretty much all games aren't interesting any more. I've still not felt the compulsion to play a game since Lemmings, Elite or Exile, possibly Doom/Doom2.

Anonymous Coward

Fail.

You looked at just the headline games, and didn't bother to look at things like the truly awesome Resogun ....

yes, because the social media interactivity is a complete waste of time. Plus the media centric design of the consoles also seems greatly out of place for the new generation.

Oh, hang on....

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Resogun

Wow that looks good!

And it is free!

Reminds me of a lot of older games like Defender, Andes Attack and a bit of Xenon2

Well worth paying £440 for that game....oh wait....

Seriously i'm not even enthused about COD: Ghosts at this point, and i genuinely think my days of console gaming are over.

My friends will soldier on, but there are definitely better things to be doing these days probably.

..awaits the It's NOT £440 crowd....well no technically it isn't, but once you've bought COD, and PSN+ for online play, it kind of is.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: COD

We do not play COD.

COD is for people who cannot handle more tactical shooters.

Personally I am excited and nervous for Killzone Shadowfall.

Excited because it is an FPS I can actually play.

Nervous because I got into top 2000 using Move and they don't support it any more.

As for PS+, already have that, and still wrking through the backlog of games.

Van

Purely eye candy to make use of that £400 TV on the £400 new console. I'd rather spend the money on an original Defender cabinet.

MJI
Silver badge

£400 on a TV

For a main living room TV maybe 25 years ago.

But prices are more since then.

32" widescreen CRT IDTV was over £1000

My LCD panel is over £1500

Before you criticise I have owned a total of 5 TVs in my life including 2 portables

Silver badge

32" widescreen CRT IDTV was over £1000

My LCD panel is over £1500

They must have seen you coming!

Several years ago, I bought my current 32" 1080p TV for around £300 and they threw in a DVD recorder with it. Why anyone needs to buy the 'top of the range' brand new massive and massively expensive TV is beyond me. If I had £1500 spare, I'd spend it on something more useful than a TV.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, I bought my top end 42" bravia about 3-4 years ago (just before 3d hit) for under £700, £1500 for a 32inch just seems excessive.

Anonymous Coward

You have to ask the question why are you so interested in shooting people dead in realistic FP perspective?

Violent games are nothing new, but it was cartoon violence not the realistic sick stuff they depict these days.

Anonymous Coward

That's because you bought high end. Give it a year and the mid-range sets have the features of last years top end.

Flat screen technology is moving so fast it simply isn't worth spending a lot of money. My LCD from 2009 looks terribly dated now.

MJI
Silver badge

The CRT was a Wega, the LCD a W series Bravia

And I have seen enough cheap LCD TVs to last me. I tested lots until I found the one I liked,

Want to see bad - S series Bravia - pretty shoddy

Anonymous Coward

You're buying Sony, there's your mistake.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Expensive TV

I LIKE my TV, it gets a lot of use so may as well have one I like.

Some people buy expensive cars (I do when they are cheap), some people go and spend a fortune on sports team tickets. I like a really good TV, put a really good film on - like the cinema.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Shooting people

Well I like SciFi setting ones!

And to be honest even in games I do not like killing unarmed characters, if they are shooting me - OK

MJI
Silver badge

Re: COD - killing

Go play Dishono(u)red with a no kill run.

Now that is an achievement

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Sony TV

Why is it a mistake, I genuinely found the picture was better than other LCD TVs on multiple sources.

Other choice would have been a Pioneer plasma but they are too expensive.

My TV was getting ***** reviews!

Bronze badge

Re: COD - killing

Go play Dishono(u)red with a no kill run.

Now that is an achievement

Pah. Go play Nethack as a Samurai, wear a blindfold right from the start and ascend without eating any food for the entire game. Now that's an achievement :)

Anonymous Coward

All the Xbox One has to do to win at this stage is actually work when people get them home.

The PS4 has massive failure rates....

Anonymous Coward

"Nervous because I got into top 2000 using Move and they don't support it any more."

I'm sure there must be alternative activities that involve playing with a glow-in-the-dark dildo?

MJI
Silver badge

Yes Resistance 3, Portal 2 and Bioshock Infinite

Hmm just bought the DLC for BI

They may have the features but not the quality. Some components, especially panels just don't come down in price and the only time you'll really see a high end panel in a mid-range price bracket is when a high end model has been reduced to clear because its been superceded by a newer model.

My dad's £1,000+ LED TV he bought two years ago still knocks the spots off brand new £500-800 sets.

h3
Bronze badge

Funny thing is the guy who made Lemmings came up with the original Grand Theft Auto.

Anonymous Coward

@MJI

your TV was a W series bravia, and it cost 1500 for a 32 incher?

Which model? Because as stated above, my £700 TV (brand new, not used) was also a sony bravia w series. and 40 inches. (£100 off because I traded in an old CRT, so technically it was £800 but shh)

Anonymous Coward

"yes, because the social media interactivity is a complete waste of time. Plus the media centric design of the consoles also seems greatly out of place for the new generation"

Yes - I can't wait to use Skype on my PS4 while also playing a game at the same time in split screen....Oh wait....

MJI
Silver badge

Re: @MJI

32" CRT and a large screen LCD

Silver badge

"how laughably partisan gamers still are"

You mean unlike PC vs Mac users, IOS vs Android users, 6502 vs Z80 users.....

Re: "how laughably partisan gamers still are"

Quite true, although gamers seem to more frequently say things like "I hope [game X] doesn't come out on [platform I don't use]" for obvious reason beyond than spite. It may be because, other than the games that are exclusive to each platform, there really isn't much of a difference between them.

If you play your games on the PC (like me) you get rather used to this nonsense.

Bronze badge
Joke

You forgot GNU/Linux vs. The World

Anonymous Coward

I for one have been anxiously awaiting the newest phase of the platform wars. iOS vs Android just isn't doing it for me anymore, the vitriol is still there, but the attacks and counters are so overused it's just not entertaining anymore.

Silver badge
Joke

Or the eternal fight over calling it Linux or "GNOO slash Leenuks"

Silver badge

"If you play your games on the PC (like me) you get rather used to this nonsense."

I hear you brother. So sick of autoaim jockeys sneering at me because I choose to have a PC and some game or another is not available for it.

Personally, I can't stand playing a FPS with a console controller. In one thread I bemoaned a decision to not release a game (whose name I cannot recall) on PC only to have some holier-than-though PS3 fanboy snootily suggest I was an idiot for not just buying a PS3 and sticking a mouse and keyboard on it. When I asked why I would want to do that when I already have a PC with a mouse and keyboard I got nothing back but the sound of crickets.

There is no valid reason for so-called "exclusives" to exist. I understand why they exist, but I do not understand why many gamers not only accept this state of affairs, but actively encourage it in their juvenile attempts to in some way best people whose sole fault is having chosen a different console brand to them.

Corporate marketing people must be overjoyed with the propensity of young people to attach themselves like limpets to corporate branding like they do. How else do you explain them putting corporate logos all over the rear windows of their vehicles?

PS2 introduced DVD to the masses when dedicated players cost more than the games machine. PS3 did similar with Blu-ray and also introduced a platform that could be updated with new apps, adding things like iPlayer and Netflix over time. PS4 offers a hardware upgrade that will make the games look better (and potentially run smoother), but adds nothing as obvious beyond that as the previous two generations.

I hope it does well, but I think it might see a more gradual uptake than the PS2 and PS3, despite Sony having managed to reign in the cost compared to the last iteration, which had a huge launch price.

The day one sales are impressive, but possibly more indicative of efficient logistics than mid to long term demand for the machine. I'm just saying it's early days and probably too early to draw any conclusions.

Anonymous Coward

Hardware non-issues

Whilst there are always sites desperate for sensationalist news stories, the real story is, with 1m units shifted, there will always be stories of hardware issues, and always users keen to shout about them, and always sites willing to report on them.

Back in the real world, the failure rate in context is 0.4%, which is pretty good for a new product launch.

Can't wait to get my hands on one in a couple of weeks. Another million in Europe is a great start for Sony. They seem to have converted ALOT of disgruntled Xbox owners over from last-gen.

Bronze badge

Re: Hardware non-issues

"Back in the real world, the failure rate in context is 0.4%, which is pretty good for a new product launch."

It is much higher than that. Sony are of course only counting fault calls they receive directly. Not the many more items being returned via retailers that havn't hit them yet...

Plus loads of consoles will be unopened until Christmas...

Anonymous Coward

Whatever makes you feel better.

All I know is Sony have a track record of making decent hardware, and they know how to make a games console with specs that push the limits, meaning it's still cranking out top notch content 10 years on.

Microsoft, they suck at both of these. the Xbox360 was a steaming turd from a reliability point of view, and graphics wise, it ran out of stream after about 4 years. The Xbox One looks set to be gimped from the outset (which may account for the FUD storm that's currently going on against the PS4, when Microsoft have nothing else to play, this is what they do)

Silver badge
Boffin

Yadda yadda yadda. The MS shill machine fires up again. Remember that the dudes that pay you to spread FUD also downplayed the infamous RROD. And given failure rates with modern electronics, I wouldn't be surprised if the X-Bone ends up having similar and/or worse failure rates anyway! The real test will be if the failure rates stay as they currently are after a couple of months, which would mean there is a real problem with the devices.

Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft, they suck at both of these. the Xbox360 was a steaming turd from a reliability point of view, and graphics wise, it ran out of stream after about 4 years."

Can't argue with Xbox 360 reliability - but that was a long term issue that mostly took at least a year to emerge (heat damage to BGA chip mountings) - and they extended warranty to cover most of it. The PS3 had plenty of hardware issues too.

Graphics wise the Xbox 360 always outperformed the PS3 and still does - the vast majority of games on both consoles are better on the Xbox, and the best console in game graphics award of all time to date is Halo 4 - an exclusive....This is due to the more powerful Xbox GPU with on chip frame buffer and hardware scaler - features that the PS3 didn't have...

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Hardware non-issues - Graphics

Actually it depends on the studio.

RSX is quick but limited in power, but to make up for the power difference it is able to communicate with the Cell using a high speed bus.

So Xenos is more powerful but slower than the RSX, the Cell more powerful than the Xenon, but PS3 uses a high speed parallel bus to link them.

Since the SPUs can be used for graphics, it means that it is possible for PS3 to pump out better graphics. But 360 is easier to code for.

I still find the quality amazing on such games as Uncharted 2 & 3, The Last Of Us and Killzone 3.

Also not many multiplatforms are that different, usually it is a bit here a bit there, draw distances to one and textures to the other.

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

A fool and his money...

Actually, that should probably be "a child and his foolish parent's money..."

Also, I think they've got the product name wrong. This is the PS2.5, Shirley, given that apparently it does even less than the PS3.

(No, not an XBone fanboi either.)

Re: A fool and his money...

Welcome to the year 2013. All those kids who were playing sonic and mario in the 90's are now grown up and have jobs. To quote (a quote) from wikipedia:

"The average gamer is 30 years old and has been playing for 12 years. Eighty-two percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older."

MJI
Silver badge

Re: A fool and his money...

Or even older.

I had a pong type game when I was small.

If it was released with GTA V available on it - id buy one for sure.

If only to play the heck out of GTA V and sell the console a few months later, one more PS4 over xbox' LAUGHABLE spy bullshit and TV crap at every turn.

Go sony!

Bronze badge

Badly misread headline...

I nearly spat out my coffee when I misread the headline as "PS4 tries to turn it's enemy into an X-BOY". Sony in the sex-change market?

Bronze badge

Re: Badly misread headline...

Sony in the sex-change market?

I read it as XXY, so I can totally see the confusion.

Supply rules

If Sony can keep up the supply of PS4s they'll probably steal an early march in sales, if only because it sounds like Microsoft can't make XOnes as fast as they'd like. Mind you, this was probably more of a problem last gen, when only 300k of each console were available per region (NA/EU) at launch.

Re: Supply rules

In the US at least. PS4 launches a week after xbox one in Europe.

Sympathy for Sony

I can't help feeling slightly sorry for Sony when it comes to their profit margins. Owing to accountancy shenanigans, Microsoft rolls the cash they make from Android royalties into their Xbox division, which makes them look pretty profitable. The reality is that no-one knows for sure if they've ever made a single dollar's profit from their Xbox/360 business, with many analysts claiming they've only ever made a loss.

That's what Sony (traditionally an entertainment-driven company) has to compete against (a business software giant who got into gaming).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums