back to article Turnbull moves to simplify submarine cable approval process

Australia's communications minister Malcolm Turnbull has proposed cutting the red tape involved in landing new submarine cables in Australia, by adding the Attorney-General's department to the list of bodies that need to sign off on a project. Saying that the legislative requirement would “formalise existing practise”, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul J Turner

In other words

They want the power to mandate a 'Great Firewall of Australia' on any new communications channels to the outside world, under the guise of 'security'.

1. EvanPyle

Re: In other words

If they were trying to make it harder to connect new links I don't think they would be cutting time frames for approval in half. Looks to me like they are trying to open the market up to new players, including some smaller players.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

WTF ? Epic comprehension fail dude.

3. RealFred

I think you don't understand what the article says. Labour was the party that wanted to implement a "Great Firewall of Australia". Luckily there was so much noise that they had to run away and hide the idea.

2. Paul J Turner

I read the article

AND between the lines. You reckon everything Turnbull does is open and above board? http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/gag-on-turnbull-briefing-20131116-2xnw4.html

This is the government telling the people that they can't be trusted with knowing what is going on or planned.

You are in for a shock.

Cutting timeframes for approval in half? That's nothing compared to the speed the refusals will exhibit.

This topic is closed for new posts.