back to article DE-MON-STRATE! How a DALEK SAVED AUSTRALIA from a Dr Who drought in 1977

The trike inside the racing Dalek belonged to Kerrie Dougherty’s little brother Geoffrey, who had left it on the front porch of his Sydney home alongside his smaller, older set of wheels. Kerrie had intended to use the smaller, outgrown trike when she and some friends from the University of Sydney planned to build and enter a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Pint

Wanting the Daleks to win

They are more than welcome to "win", taking off in the Opera House with all of our beer, as long as that beer was either Fosters, XXXX, Tooheys New, or VB.

I'd be fighting to the death of they had pinched all of the James Squire, or Matilda Bay beers.

Re: Wanting the Daleks to win

From the story I would guess the fan film was made in the late 70's or early 80's long before James Squire or Matilda Bay came into existence.

There would have been KB, Reschs, Dinner Ale (all now extinct I think) or Tooheys Old. XXXX was almost exlcusively a Qld beer. In those days the only "boutique beers" were imports.

Today if the Daleks wanted to take XXXX, VB, Tooheys or Fosters I would be at the front of the queue ushering them into the breweries and helping them to load up. However, I think I would rather they filled Parliment House and took it with them instead of the Opera House (so long as they took the politicians as well).

Anonymous Coward

Parliament House would be more aerodynamic than the Opera House.

Anonymous Coward

NSW beer?

Sure, take it, take it all.

They called it "Reschs" for a reason...it was the sound you made after drinking a few schooners of the awful stuff.

Resches is not extinct yet, for better or for worse.

Anonymous Coward

Beer?

That's that bloody lager stuff. Not beer.

Is the video still available? it seems to be showing as private :(

Coat

Dalek Racing..

now there's a real challange for the Special Projects Division

mines the one with the jelly babies in the pocket

Not the first Australian Dalek

If i remember correctly on of the first TV Daleks was also an Austalian.

Boffin

Fandom was not so nascent

I can't tell if the "nascent" fandom is supposed to mean DW fandom specifically or Australian science fiction fandom in general. If the latter, Australia had hosted its first World Science Fiction Convention, which requires a well-established and organized local fan community, in 1975.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums