Feeds

back to article Unbelievably RARE, two-horned 'UNICORN' SPOTTED in woods

It looks like our most recently discovered mammalian cousin, the Saola, will be with us a while longer, after the World Wildlife Fund reported that one of the most endangered animals on the planet had been snapped by a camera trap in a remote Vietnamese conservation area. Saola mammal spotted in Vietnam The Saola spotted in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Facepalm

On top of its other problems, already mentioned...

The poor critter has a name that sounds a lot like "Say aloha".

Silver badge

Re: On top of its other problems, already mentioned...

Sounds more like "Sawalha" to me. We should build a shrine for it.

Trollface

All references to unicorns are just for the hype

as the articles says:

"...creature has a PAIR of unusually long, straight and close horns – resembling unicorn's head spike"

The clue is in the UNIcorns name ie UNI as in ONE, like a unicycle.

Apart from the fact it has 2 horns instead of 1, which are curved while everyone knows they are straight, it has no helices on either of them. Not only that but they face the wrong way.

Just like a wooden block is almost like an orange if it had an infinite number of faces instead of six, if it was orange istead of brown and if it was actually edible to anything other than termites.

Bronze badge

Re: All references to unicorns are just for the hype

Well, in a real way, it's true.

A species considered extinct survived, making it considered unconsiderable.

As in, it exists, in spite of all considered realities. It SHOULD not exist.

Rather like a single woman at a swingers club, a unicorn. Something that rarely, at best, exists.

Silver badge

> Rather like a single woman at a swingers club, a unicorn.

By that logic, they could as well call this two-horned unicorn a yeti.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Apart from the fact it has 2 horns instead of 1, which are curved while everyone knows they are straight, it has no helices on either of them. Not only that but they face the wrong way.

Yay for the internet ... it never disappoints. Where else could you be lectured on the natural history of unicorns by a person who obviously has first-hand knowledge of the subject?

Silver badge

4 legs and horns on its head? Probably a more credible contender for "origin of the unicorn" than the narwhal, all things considered.

There is a two horned unicorn in the zoology museum at Cambridge University. (currently closed for

18 months for refurbishing). They are straight, helical, and attached to the skull. Donated by a whaler many

decades ago.

Anonymous Coward

Spoil sport.

Silver badge

How long before....

We find that there is some crackpot Chinese Medical use for bits of this poor beast, like Rhino Horn and the like.

Bang goes any chance for its survival then.

Silver badge

Re: How long before....

Yup, two horns in one go.

A rare species suddenly became rarer.

Silver badge

Yeeee Haaaah

I wonder how much that Texan business-twunt will pay to kill this protected animal, all in the name of preservation of course.........

Anonymous Coward

Good news for the WWF

Give us money and save the Saola.

Bronze badge

They need to grow more gem trees. That's how I managed to entice a chewnicorn into my garden.

Bronze badge

Enquiring minds want to know...

What does it taste like?

Silver badge

Re: Enquiring minds want to know...

Tastes like pheonix.

Silver badge

Gut feeling, it tastes basically like any other bovid.

To err is human. To moo, bovine.

Silver badge

Phoenix is fine to eat - but like some curries it's a bugger when it comes out the next day.

Bronze badge

Wok

"Then in 2010 villagers in the area villagers in the area captured a live Saola in the Laotian Xaychamphon District of Bolikhamxay province and videoed it. Sadly, before scientists could get to the remote location the animal ended up in a very tasty Bo Luc Lac dish died"

Silver badge
Pint

Beer, lots of beer, shitloads of beer

And I might be persuaded it looks like a unicorn

But I doubt it - even if you are buying.

Silver badge

If it's as "friendly" as cows round our way: QUICK! RUN FOR THE STILE!

Pirate

Not impressed

I don't think this is a unicorn. As others have astutely noted, it has two horns, not one, and said horns are oriented incorrectly. As well, it lacks rainbows shooting out its ass. It can't be a unicorn if it doesn't have rainbows shooting out its ass. Everybody knows that.

Hmmm.

The most endangered species on the planet and yet no one can tell us what they taste like..

This topic is closed for new posts.