back to article VMware releases hypervisor INCEPTION tool

VMWare has released something to get your head spinning: a tool to better manage nested hypervisors. Virtzilla knows about nesting its ESXi hypervisor and says it is possible to do so inside its Fusion, Workstation and vSphere products, but also makes it plain that attempting to do so in a production environment is not just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

It only took 30+ or so years

I was doing this in the early 80's on a 4341 running VM. That was with 16MB of memory.

One word

Actually, one letter.

Y?

Silver badge

Re: One word

We've done it in training. Each student has one PC running ESXi, with ESXi, VCentre and Windows VMs inside it. It worked quite well.

I can also see its use when doing proof-of-concept work with ESXi, VCentre, etc.

Not sure why you'd do it in production, though...

Joke

Re: One word

Ok, now I get it.

And when you have to train the trainers, each trainee-trainee would have one VM which in turn holds one VM per simulated student, which in turn holds several VMs representing all the machines in a simulated client's physical network, and some of these machines will have VMs in them, just as a client would have VMs...

"We must go deeper"

Silver badge

The real question is...

Why would anybody want to run Hyper-V...

Re: Windows 8 and 8.1 are to force the masses to want Metro UI

People with no IT budget who want VMotion-like capabilities...

Re: Windows 8 and 8.1 are to force the masses to want Metro UI

Or who want lots of cores/VM, or did want more than 32 GB of RAM.

You also get VMotion like capabilities without needing the equivalent of a VCenter host

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums