back to article Dell aims for cloudy orbit with Sputnik Ubuntu developer project

Dell is taking another stab at making the Sputnik Ultrabook it converted from Windows to Ubuntu even cloudier for developers. The company said on Tuesday it has committed fresh engineering brains to the Sputnik project to help iron out remaining wrinkles. Dell has also enlisted open-source virtualization start up Docker to try …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Probably another deliberate trainwreck

Let me guess, it'll have a shiny display with a fairly low resolution for the screen size. I won't have Ethernet and somehow they found hardware which won't run smoothly on Linux. Ohh and it'll probably be far to expensive.

Yet another one of those products designed to "proof" that nobody wants Linux on their computers. Make hardware no reasonable person would want to have, stick Linux on it and sell it for twice the price.

Silver badge

Not quite Computer HD, Only TV HD

Full HD display

Enjoy a state of the art viewing experience with the Full HD 1080p display.

Why is the entire industry convinced Laptops are only for Video? I had 1200 lines in 2002.

17" 4:3 screen 1880 x 1410 or so would be an incremental step up from 2002.

Still, it's not as bad a laptop as Berger suggests. But at 13" diagonal 16:9 it's a notebook rather than laptop. On negative, it *IS* stupid shiny screen, no ethernet, possibly no card slot.

http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

One for a large handbag/Manbag?

I'd not buy one for any OS.

Silver badge

Re: Not quite Computer HD, Only TV HD

Well there's nothing wrong with small devices. I'm happy for my IBM X200 which is 13 inch and has 900 pixels in height... for half the price. It's just that Ultrabooks are a lifestyle product. They aren't meant to be actually used, otherwise they'd have easy to replace batteries so you could suspend to disk and put in another battery during long train rides. Or you can easily replace your battery after a couple of years so you can extend the life of it for a couple of years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums