back to article Stale Blackhole leads to dried-up spam, claim badhat-probers

Security researchers at Trend Micro reckon that Blackhole, cybercrooks' preferred tool for running drive-by download attacks from compromised websites, is no longer being updated. This means the utility - which was available for rent at around $50 a day - has quickly gone stale. Nature abhors a vacuum, though, and malware- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Slater

Ransom fee

I'm curious. If you are crypto-locked and pay the ransom fee, do they send instructions for unlocking the drive?

1. lorisarvendu

Re: Ransom fee

Yes. It can take time while the malware authors check you've actually paid, but then it does start decrypting. BleepingComputer has a full guide here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good value

At $300 it is hardly worth fighting. Pay up and be on your way. On the other hand I don't suppose there is a customer support number to ring when you have paid up and not got your decryption :(

1. lorisarvendu

Re: Good value

It's extortion pure and simple and we should never give in to extortion, as it only encourages more of the same. However if faced with the ruin of your business, most people would have no choice but to pay the ransomers.

I wouldn't mind if scams like this caused everyone to start backing up, but they don't. The ones who've been stung do, but nobody else will (even those reading Cryptolocker news items and going "tut tut!). Which means Ransomeware is a Proven and Successful Business Model.

This topic is closed for new posts.