back to article Apple releases previously SECRET OPERATING SYSTEM SOURCE CODE

The Computer History Museum has scored something of a coup, publishing – with Cupertino's permission – the source code for the Apple II's DOS, version 3.1. The archeological code, posted here, is the whole 4,000-plus – that's thousands of lines of code, not millions in a misprint – complete with comments like “if it ain't 3 don' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

OK

So, where did I put my QEMU 6502 emulator? :-)

Silver badge
Coat

Re: OK

Next to the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

That's mine with the carrots. ---------------->>

Anonymous Coward

How times have changed. 4,000 lines was a lot in the late 70's. Now, if you go to school to be a programmer, 4,000 lines is something you do as a project for a grade. How times have changed.

Silver badge

Or even just a single page of a website.

Yes, but we didn't have cut/paste back then.

Oh dear, really?

I can clearly recall using it back in the mid-70s and if you check out Ritchie and Thompson's June 1970 memo describing the QED editor, you'll find it there too...

Silver badge

I can clearly recall using [copy and paste] back in the mid-70s and if you check out Ritchie and Thompson's June 1970 memo describing the QED editor, you'll find it there too...

Agreed (though I suspect the post you're responding to was meant as a joke). The IBM mainframe editors had copy&paste since at least the mid-70s, with SPF (the precursor to ISPF), and I suspect the pre-SPF TSO editor had it as well, which would push it back to '71. I don't know whether early editors for, say, CMS or MTS supported copy/paste; it'd be interesting to hear from folks who used them. (I used VM/CMS in the late '80s, but never the early CP-branded versions.)

Silver badge

Writtten for 13,000

That's about 46,000 in today's money.

http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html

Def
Bronze badge

Re: Writtten for 13,000

Not bad for three months work.

Stop

Ho, hum

Not ProDOS, not GS/OS, not System 7, nor A/UX... heaven forbid that NewtonOS 2.1's intimates should become public for viewing! No, gentlemen (and Ladies, too): this jewel that adorns this latest crown* in the Computer Museum collection is purely unadulterated cubic zirconium.

Let sleeping 6502s lie.

(* The crown is a conical volume, gilded with quasi-open Darwin, studded with 1.8-carat WebKit, and was last seen half-buried under PPC code that litters Dogcow's litterbox...)

Silver badge

I am all over that.

The first time I got paid for writing software was for that machine. Hard to believe, but it was fancy back then. I loved it.

I have to find that code and take a peek ... or maybe a poke.

Bronze badge

Microsoft knew where to shove it...

well, shove a pretty picture onto the screen so you could click away to your hearts content.

whoo would have thought one clicky picture laid top/around a few thousand lines of code was to be worth 100's billions of dollars?

Bronze badge

Steve Wozniak?

Isn't he the guy that helped Steve Jobs build the first Apple computer?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Steve Wozniak?

Didn't you mean Wozn't he?

"Beneath Apple DOS"

"Beneath Apple DOS" was the definitive work on how to communicate with Apple DOS 3.3. iIRC it included complete disassembly with comments. Through the Apple //e one could buy a printed copy of the original source code for the monitor ROM (what people call BIOS these days). Was $10 for the //e. Was essential for understanding why characters were dropped at 1200 baud when the //e 80 column screen scrolled (bug in firmware disabled IRQ at the wrong time). Once I understood the problem I found it pretty easy to write work-alike routine which did not disable IRQ yet used the same working variables as the firmware so if something I had no control over wrote to the screen it wrote in the right place and my next write followed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums