back to article 'F-CK YOU GOOGLE+' ukelele missy scoops BIG WAD of $$ - for Google

A futile attempt to convince Google to reverse its decision to lock its ID-tracking, data-mining Google+ product into YouTube comments has helped to generate more ad revenue on the vid-sharing site. A sweary, well-spoken young woman from Essex has had more than half a million hits on a YouTube video she posted just two days ago …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

yea google F*ck you

for making us sign into your free service and for trying to integrate stuff so its single sign on................................................

Re: yea google F*ck you

A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name and various other personal details, just to leave a comment on a video. Gone are the days when an e-mail address and password were sufficient.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Indeed, it's becoming rarer and rarer that you can just leave a comment without registering. Number of websites use Facebook comments too.

I remember the astonishment, 15 years ago, at how wild people were behaving on the web, trolling newsgroups and the like. In general, anonymity was fingered as the reason. Are these days over? Will the times come when using your real name on the web will be the norm, and using a pseudonym considered the equivalent of wearing a mask in the street?

based on the quality of comments attached to your average You Tube video, making it harder to leave comments can only be a good thing...

Bronze badge
FAIL

Youtube was already single sign on you numpty. You've been able to sign into Youtube with your gmail account for years.

"For forcing us to use the social network no one wants to use" you mean?

Logic fail by Not that Andrew.

You have been able to use your gmail account to sign into youtube.

Now you are required to.

These are different things.

If you are having trouble with this, imagine you have been able to use your credit card to buy food at the supermarket. Now you are required to, no credit card, no service. Not to help consumers, but because it makes gathering marketable data on you easier.

Of course, expecting Google to do anything other than get more marketing info to sell is a bit like being shocked that BP want oil out of the ground and not left in it. There is no such thing as a free lunch. A free product means the consumer is the product.

Bronze badge
FAIL

I have a YouTube channel that targets embedded engineers, most of whom are on LinkedIn and no other social network. I was getting about 20-40 comments a week. Since the YouTube integration with Google+, my comments have gone down to Zero. Zip. Nada.

More and more I'm learning that having your income depend solely on Google is dangerous.

Yet you have not issue giving all your info to The Regester to post comments!? The Regester wants to know my full name, email, what my occupation is, how many people are at my job, and if I make spending decisions. That seems a bit more intrusive to me, just to post a comment!

Why should Google get flamed for providing a free service? If you don't like it, don't post a reply. Frankly it might curb many of the spam & troll comments on YouTube.

yea, f*ck you, I had to sign in to upvote this post!

Bronze badge
Holmes

I read somewhere that registrations for DailyMotion went up after Google tied Google+ to YouTube.

Yes, but now that they're under your real name, maybe everyone will think twice before leaving imbecile YouTube comments. Less Internet pocket lint.

Anonymous Coward

How is this different from supermarkets who for years have required you to present a "club card" or be charged a higher price for your purchases? A card that required your real name, address and telephone number to obtain one? How is Google different here? Oh, yeah, you don't have to post a comment, or watch stupid YouTube videos to live.

You idiots act like the Internet was your god-given right or something. YouTube belongs to Google. It is an expensive service to provide. There will be advertising to recoup said costs and maybe make a profit. It is Google's privilege to require a sign-in if they wish on their property.

I refuse to have a FaceBook account and I don't post to sites that require me to have a FaceBook account to sign in. If you don't like using a Google account, refrain from using any service which requires you to have one.

Anonymous Coward

Given the situation with five eyes, the NSA and CCTV everywhere, wearing a mask in the street could well be on the rise soon.

"How is this different from supermarkets who for years have required you to present a "club card" or be charged a higher price for your purchases?"

Which supermarkets are these? As I have a Nectar card and a Tesco Club card and neither give me reduced prices when presented at the till. In fact with all the "offers" they print/send out they are usually trying to get you to spend more with them for the promise of points that typically amount to £2.50.

If you don't want these companies to have that information about you, don't sign up to these things. If you have to sign up use fake details.

JDX
Gold badge

A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name

Back in the good old days, telling someone your name was considered rather normal.

JDX
Gold badge

"For forcing us to use the social network no one wants to use" you mean?

It's quite possible this kind of tactic will get people using Google+, it's an entirely legitimate way to build critical mass on the platform. FaceBook remains king of social by inertia and crowd effects only.

This post has been deleted by its author

Lol, masks will be illegal soon. Dazzle makeup is the gas, man. Considering all the lenses about in blighty I'm surprised there more aren't walking around looking like WWI/II battleships already.

Gold badge
FAIL

@Hokiecow

"Yet you have not issue giving all your info to The Regester to post comments!? The Regester wants to know my full name, email, what my occupation is, how many people are at my job, and if I make spending decisions. That seems a bit more intrusive to me, just to post a comment!"

And of course you told them the truth, and don't use expendable accounts?

I think you win the "Matt Bryant" award.

That's not a good thing to win.

Silver badge

@JDX

"Back in the good old days, telling someone your name was considered rather normal."

And if you did so while happening to be a girl then the shit would really hit the fan. You were saying?

Silver badge

Yes, but now that they're under your real name, maybe everyone will think twice before leaving imbecile YouTube comments. Less Internet pocket lint.

I really hope you're being sarcastic. That or you haven't been looking at any of the comments since the Google+ bullshit started. Really, the crap that the apologists are coming out with is totally disjointed from reality. Apparently forcing Google+ onto people to comment on a youtube video will somehow, magically remove the trolls and kooks?

Just had a quick look and I'm getting "comment fatlos", "reply1", "reply2", "no wone [sic] cares", "first post"... all from comments in the last day or two, on random videos. There are worse, and they are very, very easy to find, especially the ones that declare "FROM GOOGLE+". Oh, and Google+ names such as "Nigger_Gangrape", amongst other less pleasant monikers. Oh and hashtags. Fucking hashtags everywhere, now. If this is your idea of change for the better, you can keep it.

Incidentally, it only takes about a gigabyte or so to make a 24 hour long, 360kbps, 640x360@30fps video displaying the text "FUCK GOOGLE PLUS", along with a 64kbit audio stream of whatever the hell you want (let's say a trololololol loop). Easy enough to upload to your Youtube channel before buggering the fuck off to any other video site on the Web, alongside changing your channel name to "Fuck Google Plus". Think I'll be doing just that.

Silver badge

Re: A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name

Back in the good old days, telling someone your name was considered rather normal.

On the Internet? Really?

What strange parallel universe do you come from?

"Yes, but now that they're under your real name, maybe everyone will think twice before leaving imbecile YouTube comments. Less Internet pocket lint."

Eh?, how does this change anything?, I have a g+ account, its full of bullshit false info. How am I more identifiable than i was before?

Trolls can just put false info into the g+ account and continue as normal, this doesnt solve anything.

Tbh, i think the comments are the most entertaining part of youtube.

Re: A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name

Back in the Good Old Days, there were not sneaks trying to make you a crim for having a different opinion or attitude to life. Me and my mates have no wish to be bankrupted or banged up because some spiteful, jealous, greedy numpty (ex-so-called-friend) wants revenge or money.

Why not create a nonsense Google+ account, which is empty, if you don't want to expose your "full name and various other personal details"?

Donald Duck

It's almost like you can't put your g+ full name as whatever you like. I'm fairly certain they don't request a copy of your birth certificate to sign up so uh...just don't put your real name?

"I'm fairly certain they don't request a copy of your birth certificate"

They've tried this when G+ was first concieved, if they didnt believe the name you gave was you real one. It failed hard, as well it should

And it also makes it easier for real predators to target people irl. So, two birds with one stone, eh?

Go

Re: @Hokiecow

Yep definite Matt Bryant award winner that one.

WTF?

Re: @Hokiecow

Who is Matt Bryant? If it's the Atlanta Falcons Kicker, then I don't get the joke/reference.

EDIT: I've found him now... never mind.

Where do you live?

they are not required where I live and they do not charge more if you do not present them.

Anonymous Coward

I wanted to like El Reg's article

But couldn't find the G+ button...

Silver badge

Guitar

'sa Uke init?

Silver badge

Re: Guitar

Quite. Note to ElReg hacks - Guitar big, 6 or 12 strings, Ukulele small, 4 strings. This is NOT a reference to Father Ted. They really ARE different sizes.

Or maybe Emma is quite large? :)

It might technically be a very small acoustic bass guitar with very strange tuning?

Anonymous Coward

A ukelele is a traditional Hawaiian version of the guitar. They seemingly couldn't work out how to make the big ones.

Bronze badge

Guitar big, 6 or 12 strings,

Or even bigger (well, longer neck) bass, which has 4, or 5.

Or 9 string guitars (top-3 doubled).

Or the double-necked one Jimmy Page had (Gibson EDS-1275 Double Neck) that was 6+12, so 18.

Silver badge
Happy

Nice

She'll go far, G+ won't.

Silver badge

Re: Nice

Well said - reminded me of Mitch Benn and the good Dr Lehrer - both of whom use somewhat fractured phrasing to make the lyrics fit the tune (this is aimed at folk down the way who criticise her scansion).

Emma, you made me chuckle (and I've copied the vid, just wish I had the talent to play it)

Silver badge
Facepalm

Hey you don't like it.....

You have 2 chaoices, don' use it or supply false info, after all they can hardly check your real name etc. or cor heres a radical idea, sign up a new gmail/google+ account and use that. I bet you use different signins for various sites and may even (gasp) have more than one sign in on some of them for trolling purposes.....

Me I have no problem with this or anything else Google are doing with my login, but then I'm not paranoid enough to think they are that interested in me as an individual.

Re: Hey you don't like it.....

It might be arguing semantics, but I'd say Google is very interested in you as an individual. So are their advertisers. That's basically the whole purpose of the Google online estate - to build as detailed a profile as possible of you as an individual.

Of course they do the same thing to everyone else, as individuals, and probably what you meant is that they don't treat you any different to the other 4.5 billion humans who access their services (or whatever the number is).

Silver badge

Yeh, they treat me as one of billions who are just another target, they don't have someone sat at a desk watching my every move unlike some companies people work for.

Adblock in Chrome takes care of most of that anyway.

Alert

And here lies the whole reason you don't get it.

It is not about what you say. You're right about that. It who you are. What else you do, where else you have been. What you searched for.

You look at the new Dyson Warm Cold blower. Go to you tube, watch a short video you like and you get a popup add for fan heaters. Start to see it now?

Its all about targeting ads at you and being able to tell the advertisers, "We sent x ads for fan heaters to Big Ted, and here is email, phone number, address".

So you see, they do care about you the individual.

> Its all about targeting ads at you and being able to tell the advertisers, "We sent x ads for fan heaters to Big Ted, and here is email, phone number, address".

I very much doubt they're passing your phone number and address (or any details) on to Dyson just because you showed an interest in one of their products. What they will do is change the ads that appear at the side of the screen (unless you're blocking them, and not pop-ups) to show Dyson Warm Cold Blowers. Given that you're going to see adverts anyway (the YouTube service does incur costs which will need to be paid), the only difference is that they'll be relevant. If you don't want to buy the Dyson product after all, or are going to buy it via your own methods, it's just another ad to ignore.

I'm aware that a lot of people have something against targeted ads, and some seem to think all services should be ad-free and paid for by magical fairies - that's not my point here. Drumming up paranoia in an effort to convince people to agree with your opinion though isn't really a valid tactic.

Silver badge
FAIL

The sad thing is you keep seeing the damn ads months after buying one...

Same goes for a friend/relative visiting you, asking advice about something, you google it and hey, more useless ads for months :(

For now.

Soon they will monetize adblock. If not they will deprecate/block the feature on their affiliate network

Anonymous Coward

Missing the point entirely...

....it's that the new comment system is shit, unwieldy, confusing, unworkable. It's a fucking mess. A fuckup of gigantic proportions. For so many reasons I lack both the time and inclination to reiterate here. If you're happy with it, good on you. I assure you, you are in a vanishingly insignificant minority.

Silver badge
Go

@ Big Ted -- Re: Hey you don't like it.....

Adblock in Chrome takes care of most of that anyway.

AdBlock in Firefox takes care of the rest...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums