back to article Economical Indian MOM whips up her eggs en route to Mars

India's Space Research Organisation has announced things have gone egg-shaped for its Mangalyaan Mars probe, and that's a good thing. Mangalyaan, aka Mars Orbiter Mission or MOM, has been cobbled together for just $US74m and one consequence of that small budget is a penny-pinching plan to pinch some of Earth's energy by making …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Oberth Effect

Or the faster you're going (at least up until relativity kicks in), the more efficient your rockets become. So, that egg shaped orbit means the craft can keep repeating some nicely efficient burns while in a very low, and very fast, part of its highly elliptical.. erm.. eggy, orbit. Using the Earth's momentum as a slingshot and escaping at the right angle also helps.

Yes, I play Kerbal Space Program too.

Stranger in a Strange Land.

That is all. Aside from noting that the Iron Maiden song by that name was rather decent.

Bronze badge

Valentine Michael Smith

I grok this reference.

Re: Valentine Michael Smith

As do I my water brother

Silver badge

Re: Valentine Michael Smith

*says something about Scientology*

Egg Shaped is not Pear Shaped !

Well done India.

Out of eggs comes chikcen, who will come home to roost on Mars amid a lot of squawking from disgruntled naysayers.

Thats all folks.

I am only an egg...

...shaped orbit.

Bronze badge

US$74 Million

That's actually not a lot, is it? Well done India, fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: US$74 Million

Rather less Pork, in India. They prefer and revere, the beef.

Re: US$74 Million

Ah, but the Jubal soup tastes like long pork

The shocking truth behind India's Mars mission

Mike's Daily Cartoon

http://mikemock.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/the-truth-behind-indias-mars-rocket/

Silver badge

It avoids one huge burn from an engine they haven't got. They need to get lots of science points from this mission obviously.

Gold badge
Thumb Up

Neat approach

Leverages what hardware they have to deliver the mission.

Lets hope the rest of the burns work as well.

I for one...

am optimistic. It would be nice to see what someone can do on a budget without the contractor bloat!

Anonymous Coward

Curry power

Should be nicknamed the Curry Rocket that does home deliveries to Mars, cheaply !

Well Done India.

What are they gonna do when they get there?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums