back to article Facebook gives THUMBS DOWN to its OWN design makeover

Facebook has unveiled a design tweak that will change the look of one of the social networking site's most oft-used features. The company said in a note to web developers that it would be debuting new looks for its "Like" and "Share" buttons. Website owners and publishers will be able to embed the buttons directly into their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

"No additional coding will be necessary."

When you have to mention that for image swaps, you're clearly addressing FaceB0rk users. Did I just state the obvious?

Seriously though, someone at work asked me once if I could help them "design" their FaceB0rk page. I told them "Hell yeh I will !", but I think they caught on to my intentions because they never got back to me. Turned out they weren't into beastiality anyways, so they probably chose wisely.

JDX
Gold badge

Unless you're a web-developer, there's no reason you'd know how this stuff typically works. Most FB users aren't web developers so your statement makes no sense, it's just nerd snobbery.

Silver badge

Also, 'no additional coding required' could simply be saying that you don't need to edit the fb code on your site to alter the image url etc.

To all but the most pedantic, this phrase could be used to mean 'no changes to the code-block required'

Anonymous Coward

Nerd snobbery

Hell Yeah!

If we can't be nerd snobs on a techie site, then all is lost!

Anonymous Coward

FaceB0rk

Brilliant! Did you think that up all on your own? What Genius! Awesome!

"No additional coding will be necessary."

Honestly, this being Facebook, who are known for breaking their APIs every other week and telling developers after the fact, this was actually a pretty useful clarification.

Bronze badge

give me a dislike button

wtf is all this BS about like, where is the dislike? As a pessimist I demand a dislike button on all these shitty social media sites!

I mean even el reg has a thumbs up and thumbs down, you guys get it..

While we're at it I want to be able to vote "no" when voting in political elections (e.g. cancel out someone else's vote FOR a particular candidate).

Wonder how many thumbs down I will get for this.

Re: give me a dislike button

"Like"

Exactly, years ago I have told myself that I will make a Facebook account after they add a dislike button but it seems that I will never have a Facebook account and I am proud of that.

Bronze badge

Why would Facebook give users the opportunity to dislike something when they are in the business of selling adverts? They wouldn't sell anything then.

Anonymous Coward

yada yada yada, yes you don't have a facebook account. Better put it on your cv that you are so proud of it.

why do geeks have to continually post in such a proud tone that they don't use facebook? What does it add to the IT discussion? The rest of us couldn't care less that you don't have any friends

Silver badge

You don't have to have a FB account to have friends. You do know that, so your own post is just as useless to the discussion - and that by your own criteria.

Silver badge

I personally like to read it. Plenty of people like to pass the time by reading pointless things about others.

Seeing as you do have a Facebook account, fit into that category. Da dum. Tsch. Or something.

Def
Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Re: "No" button

I would love a No button next to where Google says "Did you mean...".

That smug, self serving suggestion needs to be put in its place once in a while.

Paris, because she never says no.

Anonymous Coward

"You don't have to have a FB account to have friends"

WWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA??????

Bronze badge
Devil

Re ""You don't have to have a FB account to have friends"

Friends(*) is a trademark of Facebook, Inc. Failure to have 'Friends™' or who have 'Friends™' who don't comply with the terms as stated in the 'Friends™' license may be liable to being 'disliked™'(**) by the Facebook,Inc. corporation.

(*) probably.

(**) With all that implies.

Anonymous Coward

I don't use facebook

It isn't a matter of pride, it is just that it doesn't appeal. It's not that I'm not social on the internet, all too far from it, I frequent four or five forums every day, and am a major contributor to a couple of them. I like that way of doing things, I don't like the facebook way, and g+, well, I'm not even going there. It is also true that those sites would require 26 hours in each day, and as for getting a life I'd give up all hope.

The downside: I have to rely on my wife to tell me what my friends are doing. They used to email, now they seem to think that if anybody is interested they should join facebook.

Meh

"most-viewed pixels"

Maybe most-rendered pixels. But at some low-level hardware layer in my visual cortex there is content filter that removes that information from the input stream. I suspect I'm not the only one with that function.

Maybe they're trying to circumvent that filter with their redesign, but the hardware architecture has been honed for millions of years to adapt to new challenges quickly.

Zuck on that, bitch!

Re: "most-viewed pixels"

Agreed - although AdBlock plus does an admirable job of hiding those little blue blobs from me completely.

Silver badge

A combination of adblock and ghostery rids my browser of this filth.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

@Tim Hughes: Agreed. My browsing experience just became 100% more enjoyable since I discovered that...

Anonymous Coward

Re: rids my browser of this filth.

Adblock alone is enough. The Element Hider addon helps to catch all those nasty "social" buttons.

I'd be happy to see the back of that annoying thumb, if I saw it all, which I don't.

JDX
Gold badge

Is it a good idea to use text-buttons when most FaceBook users don't speak English as their first language? Or does FB offer localised versions of their buttons?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Localisation

Good point but then a thumbs up is regarded as a fairly severe insult in some Middle East and African countries

Silver badge
Facepalm

One of the most recognised web icons,...

..... and they go and change it.

I'm no marketing bod, so can anyone explain this disregard for 'brand awareness' ?

Silver badge

Re: One of the most recognised web icons,...

It's hardly a disregard for brand awareness to plaster your logo all over the buttons.

Maybe someone at Facebook is actually dimly aware that there are other cultures than "American" and that gestures (including the thumbs-up) can have completely different meanings around the world.

Silver badge

Ooops, I missed the bit about them adding their logo..

/gets coat

Anyway, I get your point, but adding to JDX's comment about the English language, I'd have thought a 'thumbs up' more universal than words..

Silver badge

Could be why Google have the simpler + as it not only ties into their G+ branding but is probably less likely to have a (negative) cultural specific social meaning.

Anonymous Coward

Re: someone at Facebook is actually dimly aware

Oh, Surely not!

Gav

It's all about protecting their market and money. It's safe to assume this is the case for everything facebook ever does. Start with this basic fact and the rest of the reasoning follows easily ....

They cannot trademark "thumbs up", or prevent others using similar images.

They can do this with a button that says "Facebook".

Silver badge

I never realised that there was a facebook button at the bottom of the reg page, I guess I'll have to add that to my blocks (I allow ads on pages like the reg because I like to support the important sites! not that there has been any interesting adverts recently...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums