Facebook has come through on its promise to publish its Hive-beating "Presto" analysis software as open source. The code was made available by the social network today under the Apache v2 license, giving developers access to an ANSI-SQL compatible data query and analysis engine that is faster than Apache Hive, and competes with …
An order of magnitude faster than Hive? So are Impala, Stinger and Spark/Shark. Spark/Shark in particular come with a few more perks - mainly being capable of running entirely in memory where possible. Presto's going to have to have a bit more going for it than "faster than Hive" if it wants to get some traction - it's a very congested market out there.
spot the yum jockey
"it is still a somewhat manual process to unpack and install, but I was able to do so within 12 minutes on a few boxes.."
'... it has "pluggable backends"...'
Must not make childish comment
Good for them
This is a Good Thing (TM). Zuckerberg and Company may or may not be 'good guys', but they should get credit when they do a good thing. They sure get slammed when they do something bad.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Vid Google opens new Inbox – email for people too dumb to use email