Facebook has come through on its promise to publish its Hive-beating "Presto" analysis software as open source. The code was made available by the social network today under the Apache v2 license, giving developers access to an ANSI-SQL compatible data query and analysis engine that is faster than Apache Hive, and competes with …
An order of magnitude faster than Hive? So are Impala, Stinger and Spark/Shark. Spark/Shark in particular come with a few more perks - mainly being capable of running entirely in memory where possible. Presto's going to have to have a bit more going for it than "faster than Hive" if it wants to get some traction - it's a very congested market out there.
spot the yum jockey
"it is still a somewhat manual process to unpack and install, but I was able to do so within 12 minutes on a few boxes.."
'... it has "pluggable backends"...'
Must not make childish comment
Good for them
This is a Good Thing (TM). Zuckerberg and Company may or may not be 'good guys', but they should get credit when they do a good thing. They sure get slammed when they do something bad.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM