Networking giant Cisco and 60GHz 802.11ad Wi-Fi pioneer Wilocity have announced a partnership to collaborate on "new network topologies and a new class of wireless solutions" based on Wilocity's 5Gb/sec wireless technology. The collaboration, announced Wednesday, comes after Cisco kicked in a seven-figure investment in Wilocity …
The engineers have made a fine mess of the alphabet with 802.11_ standards. What letter(s) will be next?
Best earmark a whole bunch of cash to re-invent the WLAN infrastructure again then! The shorter range of 60 GHz tech will mean i have to re-survey, and consider a higher density of devices... after I've probably already 'just' re-surveyed to change from 802.11n omni' antenna to 802.11ac downtilt antenna...
I wonder what best practice for backhaul will be... since it's unlikely that all those Gigabits will fit on a single switchport, over cat5e.
- Boffins attempt to prove the UNIVERSE IS JUST A HOLOGRAM
- China building SUPERSONIC SUBMARINE that travels in a BUBBLE
- Review Raspberry Pi B+: PHWOAR, get a load of those pins
- Experimental hypersonic SUPERMISSILE destroyed 4 SECONDS after US launched it
- That 8TB Seagate MONSTER? It's HERE... (You'll have to squint, 'cos there are no specs)