back to article A use for the Internet of Things: ROBOCOP Neighbourhood Watch

The Internet of Things may be a young field, but researchers are already cooking up a filesystem to simplify how devices share information with one another, which could lead to community-backed services such as an automated neighborhood watch. One effort involving eggheads from Microsoft Research and the University of Texas at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Like Skynet, Just on the Ground

Traditional databases with their support for transactions, concurrency control, and recovery protocols are an overkill for such data

I would think that given that increasing the number of devices pointing to the file system also increases the number of points of failure, a transactional approach would be the way to go. Eh... shows what I know. I am admittedly behind the curve on this as I am only starting to automate my home. I do not anticipate tying my stuff in with every other home's, though. It might be an advantage for some folks, but I do not think it would be a net gain to incorporate my personal network into a neighborhood surveillance system.

Silver badge
Stop

Am I the only one.....

that really doesn't give a shit if my fridge knows I've run out of milk, or my kettle knows to boil, as I'm 1 minute down the road?

Serioulsy, why bother living? You have fake friends on facebook, google telling you what to buy, your fridge telling you run out of cake, your watch telling you your a fat lazy bastard becuase you haven't left your desk for 5 minutes (and you've eaten all that cake) and your too busy flirting with a non-existant girlfriend on your phone to form a real relationship with another human being.

Seriously, if this is where we are heading, just shove us in a box, knock us out and put us on a drip for the next 50 years, it will save on food (which would of been bought from Tesco, as they know we are low on baked beans and they want us to eat them on the 3rd Thursday of each month)

Your augmented reality.

It is not the data collected, but who has access to that data.

Say the recorded thermal data telling that 2 in 30 homes in a neighbor hood are in excess of average temperature. IE wasting energy.

Who gets this information? The home owner, the local government or the energy corporations you purchase power from.

With all these systems, the real question is "will your computer have the software to interpolate the data" or "will you be first inline to make decisions?".

When was the last time you owned software/hardware that actually read the meter on you home or business?

Good accounting always balances on the sheet, but only when double checks are built in. This system is flawed by design and we are probably just going to have to eat it.

Example: GM foods introduced in products sold to citizens without there full knowledge or disclosure (labeling laws int the US comes to mind as pretty good example of a system gone awry).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums